The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All… Sorry if y'all are tired of this topic... I am looking into these cool controllers and would like to get something for my current setup (28 gallon) that is upgradeable to my next setup (I cant imagine going larger than 80 gallons). Will any of these do well in BOTH of those environments? I really want to get something now that I can use when I upgrade… and I want something obviously that will last a long time because I may not upgrade for a year or more.

How long do these probes and electrical devices last? Any opinions about the differences between the companies? I have read some posts and it seems these are the two dominant companies with auqua controller edging out reef keeper for my purposes. Does it even really matter which one I choose?

Thanks

Aqua Controller jr w/ ph and temp- $280

http://www.aquacave.com/aqua-contro...irect-connect-8brby-neptune-systems-1467.html

reef keeper level 3 with no probes- $280

http://www.petstore.com/ps_viewitem...cse&utm_campaign=pscseggl2&utm_content=DA1135

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Im curious to see this as well. Ive been trying to compare the two. As well as the next level up on both models.

·
Crawfish
847 Posts
OK call me stupid I see you have the lite listed as your second option. Really look at that one.:doh:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks jberd- i actually posted the lite, but i hadnt realized it also comes with the ph and temp probes... so we have two companies with the exact same offering, exact same price...

·
Crawfish
847 Posts
I think DA has newer technology so far they have a great support team. I am not saying there is anything wrong with the neptune. A lot of people use them and are very happy.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I've been running an AC jr for about 8 years. Great product. I was so happy with it I added a second Neptune to my list of equipment.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
AC jr is a LOT cheaper, certainly going to consider it. :)Do you use the computer connection?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
AC jr is a LOT cheaper, certainly going to consider it. :)Do you use the computer connection?
They didn't have it on the jr when I bought it. I did pick up an ACIII about 5 months ago that I run in my wetroom and it is dialed into everything and used for email alerts and I can turn things on and off from work;)

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've been going back and forth on this between the elite and the apex.

I can get the apex(net) w/ the breakout box (for float switches), moonlight simulator, 2x float switches w/ brackets for $596

I can get the elite(net) w/ dual float switch kit and moon light controller for $615.

the big kicker with the elite right now is that it seems a bit easier to get everything connected together. I also like the thought of having 2 seperate 4 plug energy bars vs the apex's 8 plug bar.

On the apex side, i like the fact that u can name each outlet. this will be huge for me when i add a second, totally seperate tank setup to it. Neptune also has a really good reputation with the community which i like.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I find these used on ebay should I even chance it or just go new? I guess I would be worried that someone soaked theirs or something...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts