The Reef Tank banner
2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  hng 
#1 ·
My first skimmer on my 55 is a Coralife with a venturi. Recently I bought an Aqua C Remora hangon with a 1200 maxijet for my 27 hex. Probably more than it needs but I empty the collection cup every day and the other skimmer on my 55 maybe every 10 days. Is the Remora that much more efficient? My bio load of fish is greater in the Remora equipped tank but both tanks show 0 nitrates. 55 has been running for 6 months the 27 gal about 3 and without a skimmer until this past 2 weeks but it has an over proportioate share of live rock, about 40 lbs compared to about 60 in the 55. Both tanks have an abundance of thriving macro algae but the 55 has a lighted sump. I really did not beleive it when I tested the nitrates in the 27 with a pair of maroon clowns, two yellow tangs, a blue damsel and some star coral. If the Remora is that much more efficient then my 110 and 300 will get one of those when they are set up.

#3 ·
I agree with Chris, but the **** thing absolutely rocks. I have been using a remora for almost two years, first on the 30g and now in the 75g. It had always keep both tanks clean with 0 nitrates.:thumbup: I bought an ASM G3 for the 140g LFS propagation system and it also works extremely well.

#6 ·
I have the Remora Pro with a Mag 3 on my 55g. When I bought it the folks at Marine Depot said the pro and better pump were recommended and to go large. For your bigger tanks I agree that you will need to do something else other than a HoB skimmer. Why not a sump and in sump skimmer?

#9 ·
I bought a Remora Pro with the Mag3 for my 46g because of all the positive reviews. A friend of mine has one and says that they're the best HOB skimmer for the money. Sadly, I don't need the Remora with my new setup.

*cough,cough* it's for sale *cough,cough* ;)

#10 ·
I'm running mine hanging on one of the sump walls. It takes a lot of crap out of the tank and it fills the cup every two days with a dark and smelly skimmate. I'm extremely happy with it but I'm going to upgrade my sump to a bigger one and then change the remora for a ASM G2 because I want to add more SPS now.

#13 ·
menelaus22 said:
How much skimmmate are you guys getting with your MJ1200 on a remora aqua c?

I barely geting an inch a week on my 45g? Any reason for this?
Try cleaning the spray injector, which is down below the pastic screw, mine was doing this and was clogged i cleaned it and bam it was great

#15 ·
Loverotties said:
That's something!Your the 1st I've seen said the Remora works better then the Coralife.I was thinking of try a Coralife out.Now I wonder?
Hold on, I think Mike was using the venturi coralife and not the super skimmer with needlewheel. So it may be apples and oranges as far as the technologies go. I wonder what it would be like to compare the needlewheel (which I have, and it rocks :banana: ) with the remora? I think the efficiency of venturis is far less than that of needlewheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.