The Reef Tank banner

What is the appropriate thing to do???

• Buyer beware. Do not trust anybodys word EVER. You got what you deserved. Let it go.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pay ANOTHER $180 to make the unit work, sell it for the $200 it would THEN be worth

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Post an ad for it on TRT classifieds "as/is" and try to rip off a fellow reefer to get money back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warn other fellow reefers who might be doing business with this person of their business ethics

Votes: 33 84.6%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i would like all of your input as to what is the right thing to do in this situation. I apologize for the length but i would really like some input.

Lets say that in the process of picking up a high dollar reef item for $1200 from an individual who happens to also be a vendor in the reef industry, you also pick up a used item from them. At the time you take their word that the item is functional, as well as IS what they said it was, and simply take the bag of parts and pay them for it. It is not a cheap item, but $140 is cheap in comparison to the other item you bought, so you figure all is well, take their word for it, pay them and leave. A couple of weeks go by and you finally get around to installing the part.

You then realize two things.

1. The unit you were sold is not what you were told it was. It is in actuality a lesser model worth considerably less money.

and MUCH more importantly

2. It is not even a functional unit. It is two different manufacture year halves to the same unit. It is incompatible with itself and totally non functional as well as not even sellable(unless of course you do not care about selling stuff that doesnt work). To make the unit work you would have to pay more to get it to function than you paid for it in the first place.

Of course there are no legal rights involved here, it was a used unit purchased from an individual. When you try to first contact the individual you bought it from, giving them the benefit of the doubt, you give them the opportunity to do the right thing, take the part back and refund your money, they do not respond. So you then write them a "less nice" letter than the first one in which you gave them the opportunity to make it right, they finally respond and act like you are attacking them and say that they "dont recall offering a money back guarantee on a used unit" as it was obviously sold "as is".

This is a multiple choice poll. check ALL that apply PLEASE

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ChrisPrusha said:
Have you tried reconciling the situation with the guy who sold you this?
I explained that below....besides....this is a HYPOTHETICAL poll anyway, it wasnt necessarily me that this happened to anyway. :)

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Pretty crappy man. I got hosed before.....that guy got a 5 year subscription to playgirl magazine. Try to straighten out the beef then play with it once it is resolved, and if it does not get resolved with them and consider it as paying for entertainment. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you have thier email address there are thousands of sites out there that you can put it into and they will recive an ungodly amout of SPAM mail. :D

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the evil thoughts....but really......i am an adult.....and a business person myself. Dont get me wrong, thinking evil thoughts when people do you wrong is an easy thing to do, as well as a pleasurable fantasy.
Its just too bad when it happens, especially when even after the fact, it could have been resolved to everybodys satisfaction, no skin off of anybodys back. I guess the person just really needed my $140 dollars. The way i look at it as a business person is that right, wrong or indifferent, if anybody feels that i sold them something that was crap, i will gladly take it back and return their money.
The fact that in this case it was CLEARLY crap, to anybody who hears the circumstances, just makes it that much worse.
I can also say that I have spent more than a few thousand dollars on this hobby in the last year and this is the first time that anybody, individual OR business, has shown this kind of conduct. So i guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Super Glued ToothPicks in all his door locks!! :funny:

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
ouch,
hopefully after a few more calls to the person you woudl be able to work things out. regardless if it was 1 week or 2 months, if the item was said to work and bought as is..then it should work. even stores around here sell things on clearence.. and if it dont work when i get it home, they have no problem replacing it.
bringing a 3rd party to the discussion may be a good idea. or even contacting the internet boards owner where this company sponors. with such a "tightness" that reefers have, one would think that any"bad" pub. would really hurt a company..

i really hope you can work this out

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
A couple other choices for your poll:

5. Write it off as a bad deal and forget it. It's not worth the aggravation.

6. Confront the individual and, if the 'bad unit' is small enough, insert it in the appropriate place!!! :D (Not recommended; just kidding)

Sorry 'your friend' got a bad deal but seriously, the hassle usually just winds up hurting the buyer more than the item is worth.

Dick:)

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I have to agree with Dick. We've all been ripped off by either false promises or false guarantees. Sometimes it's just part of dealing with other humans. I'd chalk it up as a learning experience and forget it. Not worth the high blood pressure!

HHC

·
Registered
468 Posts
If what you say is 100% factual(and i'm sure it is), I would expose them on this board. Why would you extend a courtesy to them by protecting them from us? People tend grow a backbone and do the right thing when their fraudulent actions are exposed to everyone.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
As bad as it is, I agree with notifying everyone you know of this bad transaction. In the long run it is worse for the saler to scam people because soon everyone will know he is not to be trusted and noone will buy from him. I will havwe to say thay I would e-mail this guy every day to let him know I still want my money back for the crap he sold me.
I hope this works out for your "friend"

·
Administrator
46,889 Posts
Sadly things like this do happen, however "Exposing" them in public is not a very productive way of dealing with things that go awry, especially if thats the first course of action.

If the vendor in dispute is a sponsor here the staff can mediate, I have done this a few times, and a few times with non vendors as well.
Always save anything relating to the original sale(printout of webpage, email,etc} and save all in and out emails regarding after the fact and trying to get the problem rectified. Without some record it becomes a he said/he said, often times getting into ugly shouting matches.
Posting BEWARE threads on the board without exhausting all efforts to remedy the situation is one of my pet peeves, most vendors will deal if they arent attacked, private parties tho theres less pressure you can put on them.
We all all adults here, bad things happen sometimes but they can usually be resolved, if everyone stays calm

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree Doug. AS you know.........( i watched you ponder this thread last night, ) I put more than a touch of thought into writing this thread. It IS a loaded gun and as you already know....it IS one of our members who id this to me. It is NOT a sponsor. Do i want to publicly slam him......Yes. Am I going to. I dont know. Im still trying real hard to STILL give him the opportunity to do the right thing.

Was this my first course of action. Of course it wasnt. I explained that below.

We as reefers work a WHOLE LOT on trust when buying and selling both equipment AND corals. Im surprised as many people picked poll option #1.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
sorry i missed this whole thing, stuff moves fast on this forum. glad it all worked out. and i picked option 1 and 4, because even though you trust, you should have opened the bag before you left, the world is getting worse and worse. could have caught him red handed...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Glad to hear it got resolved. Usually when I get screwed on little things, I let it go. Big things I fight a little harder for. But I am the type that if someone gives me the run around too badly, I never go near them again (I do always give people the chance to recitify problems and always assume honest mistake at first). I have even had misunderstandings where I was left to assume the worst only to find out that technical glitches had resulted in an error (once we figured out the issue, we both ended up doing everything in our power to fix the problems on both sides).

The reason I believe in buyer beware rather than really trying hard to get revenge is I am not willing to go through that kind of aggravation. Its just not healthy.

Again, glad to hear that everything is resolved now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts