The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out of touch with the hobby for awhile so I am wondering if there is anything new in the realm of 400 watt MH.

I have had a 14K Hamilton. I liked it a lot but was looking for something that may give my aquarium a little more wow power.

I currently have a XM 10K and I find it too yellow for my taste and it seems to wash out the color of the coral.

Any new articles on the subject? Opinions, Suggestions, Comments?

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
400W - XM 20K seem to be the bulb most people are talking about on TRT. lots of power and lots of blue.

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
I would go with 14k's then.

Question on the XM bulbs and any MH ballast run them? I am slowly thinking about starting a coral farm again and have two PFO dual 250 Watt ballasts. For some reason I thought XM bulbs needed HQI ballasts!

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My good old M59 balast fires the bulb well and is listed as supported by XM. I did really like my Hamilton 14K, but I would love to hear opinions on other 14 & 15K bulbs. They are a bit too expensive to buy them just to experiment.

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the site, it reinforces my idea that I am pretty sure I want something in the 14000K range, now I just have to figure out the best 14000K bulb that can be run on a M59 ballast

1 - 7 of 7 Posts