The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nasty hairy crab that I pulled off of my live rock and wanted to know if anyone would like him. I have banished him to my refugium for the past two months and he eats macro algae but my refugium is very small and the growth cant keep up with his appetite. He is far from reef safe but I thought maybe someone would like a scavenger for a fish only tank or even a meal for a mantis or a trigger. Let me know and I will bring him to the meeting. Here he is posing!

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I've got lots of hungry triggers ;)

Jenn

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Looks like a emerald crab. I will take him if you do not have any takers. I can use him in my crab tank ( I have tank for some hermits that grew out too big to be reef safe.)

Ray

·
2,679 Posts
Just bring him to the reef club meeting unless you want to meet elsewhere.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I will bring him along tommorow.

Jenn would you be bothered if we let him live a while longer?

Keep in mind he is definatly not an emerald crab. I have one of those in the tank and they look nothing alike when you see them side by side. He is a nasty bugger but he get along with the hermits in my refugium.

·
2,679 Posts
Kewl,

I have a mutant red legged hermit, and two monster hermits. (All started as small normal reef same cleaners but as they got bigger shells...)
Ray

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
wiltel,

Isn't the crab you're giving away in the lower center of the picture (i.e., just above the barnicles)?!

Bob

·
2,679 Posts
A hairy Emerald Crab...kinda looks like, how big it is it. I am figuring about 2-3 inches based on the small barnales..either way I will see how it will get along with other homeless crabs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would say he is a little under 3 inches. He just molted this week and I swear he doubled in size. He is a macro algae eating machine!! I only had two clumps left this morning about the size of baseballs and I just went home for lunch and there is only one clump left. If I had a lawn I would set this guy loose on it and I'm sure I wouldn't need to cut it.

·
2,679 Posts
I think it will be easy to see what he eats. I didn't realize that hermits ate macros, until of course I tried to grow some in my crab/dwarf puffer/wayward damsel tank

Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts