The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yet? I just did a check on my tank. I did a 15 gallon change on my 90 yesterday. So I tested today...

Ca was off the chart. well over 500 probably closer to 575.
Ph was 8.3
Kh was 5.4 (low)
Ak was 1.94 (low)

So I buffered up a bit ago to see if I can get the Ak up and Kh up.

Curious what you guys are getting?

Todd

·
Addicted to water
1,011 Posts
Very interesting, Todd. I'm going to tag along, as I plan to give the new salt a try. Just out of curiosity, what brand(s) of test kits did you use?

Thanks for running those tests,
Kayla

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
Great discussion Todd!

I will be using the new salt in my nano- when I get it up and running, I'll let ya know. I do like those CA readings as I'm hoping for SPS in this tank!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hmmm. I've been using it for 20% weekly water changes - the tank seems really happy, everything is growing like mad so I haven't tested (other than the pH monitor - 8.05-8.2).

When I started out I was testing and dosing, testing and dosing, doing the Calc/Alk/pH waltze. If I test I'm tempted to dose so I don't. I'll test tonight & post results. and won't dose.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I tested my water on 11/25 and did a 15% water change using seachem reefsalt on 11/26.

On 11/25 my results were:
Mg - 1290
Alk - 9 dKH
Calcium - 400
Nitrates - 0
Phosphates - 0

Tonight my results were:
Mg - 1320
Alk - 9 dKH
Calcium - 430
Nitrates - 0
Phosphates - 0

My salinty is 1.026 and I mixed the change water to 1.026.

All tests were done with Salifert test kits.

I will test the water I have left over from my water change and post the results.

·
Registered
275 Posts
you guys have any more comments on the seachem salt?i was thinking of switching.who's got the salt the cheapest right now?

·
Registered
557 Posts
nope, its been available, when fs&m had our meeting that weekend before they he was there with the seachem producs and announcing the new salt, Had buckets of it there.
Don't know how it tests. but as he said, it isn't going to be the cheapest on the market if that's what you're after.

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I still can't get the Ak up to 5 and keep it there. May go back to Kent. Now that I am thinking about it. My acros were fine before the change and now I have had a bleaching occurance on my reef. Simon has all my acros in his sump trying to save them.

Hey Simon, that is the only thing I changed now that I think of it.

Todd

·
Registered
275 Posts
ok well i was using kent at first.then i came across a 3/4 full bucket of instant ocean from a member here,so i figured id try it.ive seen alot more nuisance growth since the change.so i guess its back to kent. any instant ocean users had the same experience?

·
Reefer Dude
409 Posts
Anyone using the new Seachem Salt and keeping clams?

I switched on my last water change mix(I do auto water changes)and my corals all are looking great.
I had a new Maxima clam die and also I has a couple of oysters that were hitchhikers on a large mushroom rock die also. The oysters had been in my tank for at least 6 months.
Just wondering if anyone has experienced any issues with clams and the new salt.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
623 Posts
On a related note - anyone see any problems with Red Sea salt in a reef setup? Works good for me on my fowlr setup but I can see where it might not be the best choice when I go reef. Dan

·
Reefer Dude
409 Posts
I only used it to make one container (35 gal) of water, for my auto water change I change 2 gal a day.
I also noticed my alkalinity was a bit low.
I have, for now, switched back to Kent.

Cheers
Mike

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
Ok here are my results with the new salt. This tank was started about 4-5 weeks ago and is currently in cycling mode- there is no skimmer or lights on this tank yet, those will come soon. I tested the water with brand new seachem and salifert test kits. This tank started with the new salt from day one and I did the first water change last night with the same salt.

Temp 78 (just did the water change, so its back at 80 now)
Salinity 1.025 tested with refractometer
Seachem test kits:
Ph- 8.1 which is fine
Alk 4 meg/L which is good- test kits says this should read between 4-6 meg/L
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- between 2-5 (kinda high) the skimmer will help this once I get it
Free and Total Ammonia- 0
Salifert test:
Ca- 360

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Ok, I read this thread but I'm still not understanding what salt mix you guys are talking about and how it differs from say Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts