The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16752

i have 2 on order to use with my new Maxijets (also on order) there are only 2 testimonials, so i figured i'd check here. i figure most people just DIY it, but i don't feel like fiddling with that right now. But i hate suction cups for powerheads.

i got the suregrip 50 since the maxis are the 900 and my 30L has thin glass.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,191 Posts
My Tunze Nano came with a magnetic holder and I won't ever use anything else. Those suction cup holders are terrible.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I use that brand on my tunze 6100s. They are on 3/4" glass and they've never fallen, or come close. They're awesome. Not sure if yours are the same intensity, but I'm sure they'll work great if you got the size rated for your glass thickness.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
I use that brand on my tunze 6100s. They are on 3/4" glass and they've never fallen, or come close. They're awesome. Not sure if yours are the same intensity, but I'm sure they'll work great if you got the size rated for your glass thickness.
But on the 12/24v Tunze Streams (6000,6100,6200)the Sure Grip makes the PH stick out a bit too far for my taste. There is a simple DIY mod (on RC)for the Tunze Streams/Sure Grips that allows them to sit much closer the the glass.

IMHO I would rather just go the 6200.50 on the Tunzes but Sure grips are great for the MJ mods....

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how thick is the inside half? i figure it has to be better than the ones i have now, they are just epoxied to hang-on brackets and i can only place them so the top of the unit is about 1/2 inch under the water.

with the magnets i could set them deeper and angle them and/or set one behind rocks.

i have had great luck with Maxis... i am rough on things...clumsy and forgetful, but these things keep running!

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I've used it before and didn't like it because of it's size. Other than that, it worked really well keeping the powerhead where it was supposed to be.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I have one on my 6060 Tunze... it seems to be working just fine. Although, I do like the Tunze magnets better.

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
whoo.... they sure are tuff magnets! holy smokes. if a person is not careful, you could put it through glass by mistake!

the bracket plus magnet thickness does make the PH protrude a full inch from the inside of the glass, but its nice i'll be able to twist the magnet from the outside and aim it someplace else without getting hands wet.

i have not put them in the tank yet, i still have to strap down some shrooms that have escaped their rubber bands.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts