The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Tarpon
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am training for a half marathon in feb.......I was wondering if anyone else here ran? Any tips?

Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
Very cool thing to do, I ran 3 miles everyday in under 21 minutes when I was younger. I don't think I can run a block these days, Just out of shape.

Premium Member
I am training for a half marathon in feb.......I was wondering if anyone else here ran? Any tips?
Only when chased! ;)

Actually by brother in law does and goes all over the country including NYC.

He has a 26.2 sticker on his car and I told him if he ever finds a .2 sticker get it for me!

Tarpon
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes! Im loving the .2 sticker. I just bought a stationary bike to help me get my endurance up and my cardio. I have been doing about a mile a day on top of weights. Just trying to get back where I was when I played soccer. I want to finish it in under an hour and a half. I would like to average 12-15mph which would put me right at an hour getting to the finish line. I dont want to just finish......I want to finish with a decent time. The best thing about the run......I turn 21 the next day. :)

Registered
best tip is to run ..... a lot. I'm with the .2 sticker but mine would be .02 LOL

I've got the REEF rash!
Only when chased! ;)

Actually by brother in law does and goes all over the country including NYC.

He has a 26.2 sticker on his car and I told him if he ever finds a .2 sticker get it for me!
LOL! and Vin ,I'm with you!I use to be on the cross contry team in HS and we did 18 miles aday.Today I would have a hard time around the block.But if you want to train,then I'll let you barrow my dog and will pour meat juices all over you.

Tarpon
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never met a dog that was mean to me. I've had three try to bite me, but if you just shove your hand down there throat they wont do it again. ;) My gf calls me the dog whisperer....her next door neighbor's dog barks and trys to bite everyone, hes a rotti....gorgeous dog, He was barking up a storm at me and I just walk over to him and the guy that owns him was like please be careful he will probably bite you. I get up to him.......pet him.....and he stops barking. Most dogs just want some love. :) But then again, isnt that what we all want. HAHA. Had to throw that in there. Back on subject though, I have started running every day except the weekends. I do at least a mile and then I bike 6-10 miles on the stationary bike. Its loosened me up a lot, but I still have a long way to go.

I've got the REEF rash!
I'm the same way with dogs!We rescue a Rottie(was abused) and the ladie told me she only wanted a female to get her,and I said please let me see her.The dog came right over to me and licked me crazy!They sence if your a dog lover.My Rottie(in the pic would lick you to death!But he will run and catch you if your running(thinking it's a game).

Registered
I only run when ABSOLUTELY necessary - running 'for fun' always seemed like an oxymoron to me :lol: But good luck reaching your goal!

But I like the idea of having a dog chase you - after all, anything can be accomplished with the right motivation! Alternatively, you can hike in the woods and look for bears if dogs like you too much. Just remeber if you take a buddy - you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun your buddy :rotflmao:

Premium Member
I only run when ABSOLUTELY necessary - running 'for fun' always seemed like an oxymoron to me :lol: But good luck reaching your goal!

But I like the idea of having a dog chase you - after all, anything can be accomplished with the right motivation! Alternatively, you can hike in the woods and look for bears if dogs like you too much. Just remeber if you take a buddy - you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun your buddy :rotflmao:
I follow that good advice when ramblin' around bear country in the Smokies. :D

I'm with the non-runner crowd now but did run a bit in the past, mainly to train for other sports and later, to keep in shape for hiking, etc. Can't do any of that now. :(

Good luck with the training, fihsboy. Fred's advice is good; just run a lot and then some.

Dick:)

Super Moderator
Mike - one of our long time TRT members (Mrs. Smith is her screen name) runs 1/2 marathons and full marathons I think. Send her a PM and ask her advice.

BTW.. her name is Danielle.

Tarpon
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. :)

Super Moderator
Have you been able to get in touch with Danielle yet?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts