The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">ive searched everywhere:mad: ..id rather it be all glass too
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i know,but they looks so cool a cube that big..i saw one at the aquarium..i might even go with a 24x24x24..yep ,ill be down sizing from my 72x24x24...my 180 now is about 33% full of stuff now..the way i want this 180 to look will cost me a fortune$$$$$$$$$.. if i got the 24x24x24.it would be full the way i want my 180 to look.. and i know certain fish id have to get rid of that need at least 6 foot to swim..my nigar,yellow tang and hippo:(. i love my hippo..thats just a few of my fish...ill still have my mating pair clowns with rittiri,2 cleaning yellow head gobys,coral beauty and demsals ..not to mention all my corals and other stuff

ill keep my 400w mh and 60gsump and skimmer

i would be selling my 180g all glass drilled that has 2 over flows in eAch corner
canapy and stand
4-60 inch 120 wat vho actinics
2-36 inch 10k daylights
most of the ls

i just need the extra space..i can stick the cube in one of the corners in my house

its just an idea:arg: id rather go with the 36x36x36 though

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Just wondering why you say it would cost you a fortune to make your tank look how you want it.

Where in FL are you? Do you need liverock?
I have 400lbs i'm selling right now .. for cheap .. if you need some to fill your tank.

You could also go & get some base rock ... or just dead rock from the side fo the road/near beaches .. just clean it really good for a few days/weeks.

I've thought about doing a 48" x 48" x 24" tank .. gives you lots more options for placement of certain things .. but you really have to have the room to make it nice.

But to be quiet honest .. i think you'll end up spending much more money getting a cube to look 'right' or how you like it .. than it would for you to build your current tank.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wondering why you say it would cost you a fortune to make your tank look how you want it.

Where in FL are you? Do you need liverock?
I have 400lbs i'm selling right now .. for cheap .. if you need some to fill your tank.

You could also go & get some base rock ... or just dead rock from the side fo the road/near beaches .. just clean it really good for a few days/weeks.

I've thought about doing a 48" x 48" x 24" tank .. gives you lots more options for placement of certain things .. but you really have to have the room to make it nice.

But to be quiet honest .. i think you'll end up spending much more money getting a cube to look 'right' or how you like it .. than it would for you to build your current tank.
its not live rock realy).i did get my base rock though from the coast here,lol.shhhhhhhh and had it cured for about 2 months.) its dressing up these rocks with corals..and lots of them!!!!some of these beautiful tanks i see, you cant even see the rock work cause there covered with stuff like a christmas tree

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You can get 36x36x24, 30x30x31, or 48x48x24 from glass cages as well as tons of other sizes.
http://www.glasscages.com/
There are mixed reviews on build quality specifically how clean the silicone job is. I was very satisfied with mine.

Have you checked out Aquariums for you or Aquamium Obsessed?

I have a 36x36x24 cube from them with starfire front glass that you can see in this build thread.
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93642

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
its not live rock realy).i did get my base rock though from the coast here,lol.shhhhhhhh and had it cured for about 2 months.) its dressing up these rocks with corals..and lots of them!!!!some of these beautiful tanks i see, you cant even see the rock work cause there covered with stuff like a christmas tree
Phil,

Just remember ... nothing good happens overnight.
Corals grow ... some faster, some slower.

I buy (virtually) all of my corals as small frags ... I enjoy watching them grow - it's part of the hobby, and fun.

Just remember .. if you get a cube, you'll most likely have 3 or 4 sides to look at ... that might just be 3 to 4 times the amount of rock work you'd end up trying to 'decorate' with corals ...

While I love the look of a cube tank, and LOVE the possibilities of aquascaping with a deep (width) tank ... it does bring with it the inner want & challenge to fill the rock work with corals.

If you don't mind me asking - how long has your current large tank been setup, and what kind of growth are you seeing?

Take care,
--marco

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Phil,

Just remember ... nothing good happens overnight.
Corals grow ... some faster, some slower.

I buy (virtually) all of my corals as small frags ... I enjoy watching them grow - it's part of the hobby, and fun.

Just remember .. if you get a cube, you'll most likely have 3 or 4 sides to look at ... that might just be 3 to 4 times the amount of rock work you'd end up trying to 'decorate' with corals ...

While I love the look of a cube tank, and LOVE the possibilities of aquascaping with a deep (width) tank ... it does bring with it the inner want & challenge to fill the rock work with corals.

If you don't mind me asking - how long has your current large tank been setup, and what kind of growth are you seeing?

Take care,
--marco
its been about 2 years.. i seen some mushrooms have babys and 2 leather that were 75% smaller then they are today. i have hardly no coriline growth. i see once ain a blue moon some plate coriling forming

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Phil,

I'm sorry i cannot remember what kind of tank you are running - The following is based on what i'm knd of gathering.

Is your tank mostly LPS/Softies? 2 x 400w MH + 4 x 120w VHO supplementaion sounds like ALOT of light for a softy tank.

You are running MORE light on a 180g softy/LPS tank than I am running on a loaded 265g SPS tank.

Shroom for instance ... many of them .. do not like intense lighting .. in my previous 150g i had a hard time to get shrooms & brains to do well.... there was too much light.

Coraline Algae is just what the name says .. it's a form of algae.
-> i'm not sure if coraline algae consumes & requires much calcium to grow... i'd guess so. Have you checked into your calcium levels?

While it looks ncie in covering up white spots on rocks ....some of us wish we could keep it from growing as fast .... I added a long splined sea urchin to somewhat help control the coraline algae.

This may be a viable & valuable addition to your tank as well .... While the sea urchins love to eat coraline algae - they will also clean the rocks of slime, which in return makes it easier for coraline to attach & grow on said rocks.

If you are seeing poor growth rates, I would consider making some changes - there are plenty of fast growing corals, wether it be Softies, LPS, plates and/or SPS.

If you're main complain about your corrent tank is poor growth rate, and you interpet this as a need to purchase more corals to fill open space, then i think you will encounter the same issue in the next tank you setup. wether it be a cube, or not.

I would tackle the growth issue, and then go from there.

A good friend of mine locally has growth issues as well ... His xenia is OUT OF CONTROL! he is actively trying to give it away ... and is keep coming up more & more.

His SPS are also growing very nicely ... and fast.

where are you at in florida?
I'm down in fort myers.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phil,

This is my buddy scotts xenia rock:

He throws rubble rocks into the middle, and around this colony every week .... a few days after the xenia has moved itself onto the new rubble rock ... he does this just about every week ... but the stuff keeps on growing .. and growing ..
thanks for your help..i do see my leathers getn huge..ive had ones i bought about 6 months ago and there are twice the size now,also my bubble coral has goting about 1/4 bigger ..my growth that i mean as you know are my zania,coriline and shrooms...i have notived that since ive added a 10k from a 14 k that everything in my tank is so open..mybe with the 10k ill see some kinda growth in the next 6 months

i do see some coriline growth but very slow..lets see what this 10k does in time..here some pics of my leathers.im not sure of the names..mybe someone can give me the names of them.. i think one is soposta be a green leather but it looks yellow to me:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
imo half the fun of it is putting togeather your reef a frag at a time, and watching it grow, then fragging and trading this for that with local reefers... doesnt have to cost a fortune, just time. and yea 2 400s is a bit much for softies, how long do u run them for? maybe a shorter photoperiod would yeild better growth from the shrooms and leathers. if it were me with the setup you have id be looking at a big skimmer and getting into sps. i agree a 36x36 footprint would be sweet, and u have the lighting to pull off a tall one, but the 72x24 is just as good and u can have bigger fish. just my opinion on it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Weird that you don't have a good Coraline growth.

I added my live rock about 2 months ago, tank is 3.5 months old, 30 watts total of light and this stuff is all over the place now. It's starting to coat practically all the "dead rock" that was in the tank and I have to clean the glass every 2 weeks to keep it off. I don't add anything to the water, except salt and don't even test for alk of Ca.

I think this stuff just grows no matter what. Once it adapts to the tank, it seems like a wild fire!

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
There are different color/species of coraline ... When i started this tank up a few months ago, i re-used 200-250 lbs of my previous tanks rock that had been cooked.
To see the tank, i went out & bought another 120lbs of Indo LR.

You can barely tell the difference ... the 'cooked' rock has a bit more algae on it, but is taking on coraline readily.
At first i had some brownish/greenish/beige coraline algae growing on the plastic parts of the tank (overflows) ... now the purple is really starting to take off.
The areas where my tunze pumps are blocking me from cleaning the glass everyday ... i have quiet a few spots of coraline on the glass.

In my sump i have a very dark red variation growing ... it's 'plating' over the egg crate in it ... slowly closing off the squares.

·
Registered
592 Posts
There are different color/species of coraline ... .
I love the purple one. It's 2/3 of the algae in my tank.

I don't know, if it can grow in my tank, it can grow anywhere. I am not as hardcore as you guys with maintaince and testing, yet it's everywhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts