The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started growing low down in my tank about 4-5 days ago, it is still growing slowly. Tried to nudge it with the siphon changing the water yesterday but it seemed pretty firmly fixed on the rocks.

Water Natural environment Botany Organism Body of water

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not home to check, but will later, assuming it is Cyanobacteria bloom, It's a type of single celled Algae right? What should I do?

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,356 Posts
If it’s cyano it’s actually a bacteria. Different ways to address, I will post a video that may help if is cyano.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks for that video, the BRS videos seems great. I have been doing regular water changes and skimmer working well. I also ordered a new fuge light that may not help with this immediate problem but hopefully will help stabilize the conditions. I will not panic as suggested and see what happens on its own with good maintenance and then move to the heterotrophic bacteria dosing if needed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got home and felt it, its not what I would describe as super slimy. I could easily scrape it off with a tooth brush, but I'm worried it would send spores everywhere. The above video shows the cyano as purple and largely on the sandbed, so not sure if its that or if it is dino. I did some water testing, everything nice and ideal except Phosphates again, back up to .15 to .2, they were only about .10 the day after my last water change, and then 5 days and another 20-25% change later they are up. I've tested my RO water to be sure and since my Nitrates stay pretty low I can only assume that the theory i've heard the it is seeping from the previous owner of the LR dirty water. I learned a valuable lesson though, always start with your own LR and throw the old stuff in and RO bucket and see what leeches out. I didn't realize rock could be such a sink.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,016 Posts
I'd agree on the Cyano statement. This sounds like a new tank, it might be something that needs to cycle through. I'm fighting this in my tank as well right now, I just added a frag tank to the system with new rock and it destabilized everything just a little bit. I'm blasting off the live rock with a powerhead every couple days and that's kicking up built up detritus so it can be filtered out, and also blasting the stuff off the rock. When my system stabilizes again I'm sure it will be gone for good.

Mainly I'm saying "Don't panic", just do your regular maintenance and any you can remove is good. Phosphates would be better in the 0.08 range (This is an area of great debate though) and I would say that P04 remover like Lanthium Cloride or Rawaphos would be more effective in the long run at maintaining lower levels than water changes.

That being said, just blasting the live rock to remove detritus often does the trick.

Whiskey

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the long term, you can try to set the powerhead to cycle the tank or a hygger wave maker to sucked the wall, that's another effective way to help reduce the Cyano.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts