The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...does anyone know what depth the water has to be in the sump for the Octopus Extreme TS-150? I am working on my sump and need to get some baffles made.

Thanks!

·
11,345 Posts
If you have the room.......dont worry about that so much. make your sump baffles based on how much water you can fit when the power goes out......build a simple little lift for your skimmer if needed to get to otpimum after that

its also good to play with the height a little regardless fo what everyone tells you is "optimum". so dont build a permanent or vry nice lift until you figure this out. I tend to like my skimmers sitting in less water than the reported optimum. Gives me more control with less backpressure IMO

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...I think we were going to make 10" the first baffle. This is 1/2" my height (so it should leave me something like 22 to 25 gals of overflow room). Sound good?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks guys...I think we were going to make 10" the first baffle. This is 1/2" my height (so it should leave me something like 22 to 25 gals of overflow room). Sound good?
I just got a TS-150 on Monday and my baffles are 10". I had to raise it up with PVC pipe even with the outlet at the lowest setting. At first I just used some 1/2" pipe and elbows layed on the side to raise it but within a few hours of breaking in, I had to raise it up another 1/2" by turning the elbows. I don't think it's finished the breakin period yet since I'm only getting a little light colored skimmate (about 1/2" since Tuesday morning).

·
Registered
281 Posts
i've had mine for 2 weeks now it's starting to work good . I have it in 6 inches of water i have my first baffle at 10 inches so i had to make a little stand out of pvc

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well, I've had my TS-150 running for about a week now. It's really starting to kick in. It wasn't skimming very well for the first 4 days but overnight on Friday it started pulling out some foul smelling skimmate. I've had to empty the cup once since then. My skimmer section's baffle is 10" high and I have the skimmer elevated 2.5" and it's working fine. The riser tube is extended 1.25" so I think the optimum depth for the TS-150 is about 8". I kinda like the idea of elevating it with PVC since it prevents some of the buildup that can occur under the skimmer platform.
Here's what I don't like about the TS-150. Due to the design of the neck, I notice a lot of detrius accumulating in the section between the cone and the collection cup. I'm not sure why they designed it this way and if it even matters since it is isolated. It's not easy to clean that area out either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts