The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I recently heard that people are making saltwater pools, supposably they are more healthy then the chlorine additives in normal pools. Has anyone seen them? Been thinkin, could ya add fish and make it into a huge saltwater pond to go swimming in? wouldn't that be cool

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
I have a co-worker that has one. The salt level is much, much lower than our tanks. Their SG is measured in PPM.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
They have had them for actually centurys.I learn to swim in the early 60's in one(more boancy) down the shure.The sal. was much lower.Rich people back in the19 and maybe 18 century had a bathtub with three spickets(Hot,Cold,Saltwater))It was to clean and kill any bacteria on you then you took your normal bath.

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
You find more of them in the south. During Hurricane Katrina they moved several Dolphins from an Aquarium on the beach in Gulfport Mississippi to a swimming pool 5 miles inland because it was easier to adjust the pool than move the dolphins hundreds of miles. A device is put on the pool to extract the chlorine from the salt as opposed to continually adding chlorine. Cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Loverotties said:
They have had them for actually centurys.I learn to swim in the early 60's in one(more boancy) down the shure.The sal. was much lower.Rich people back in the19 and maybe 18 century had a bathtub with three spickets(Hot,Cold,Saltwater))It was to clean and kill any bacteria on you then you took your normal bath.
That is pretty interesting! too bad that ya can't have one installed in your back yard heat it and add fish and corals... would be kinda cool if ya could.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
There's one in my neighborhood and I've thought about converting mine over. The salt level is much too low to support any marine life, it's about as salty as a teardrop. It would be neat though to swim with the fish in the pool.:)

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts
Man I love salt water. Before I moved to this little patch of dirt a little long board session in the AM was great and I just left the salt water on me.

The smell and sensation just felt cleaner than showing up with chemicals and who knows what.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Rick O said:
There's one in my neighborhood and I've thought about converting mine over. The salt level is much too low to support any marine life, it's about as salty as a teardrop. It would be neat though to swim with the fish in the pool.:)
wonder if they could keep brakish water fish alive?? like some of the "fresh" water puffers

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is still chlorine in the pool. The salt is used to generate chlorine. The water from the pool passes through a tube called a chlorine generator. It takes the salt and converts it into free chlorine. Once the chlorines chemical reaction in the pool takes plaeces it becomes salt again. So it just recycles itself.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My g/f's got a saltwater pool. The water tastes awful! She said its way cheaper to keep running than using chlorine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts