The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: I replaced my rubbermaid sump with a DYI sump made from a brand new 40 breeder. I silconed plexiglass baffles into the sump let it cure I finally put in on the tank on Friday night and it worked great- no microbubbles, was quiet. I get up this morning and step in a small puddle , my mind goes oh sh** and I whip open the doors to my tank stand. There is a hairline crack down the side of the sump basically from the top to bottom !!

The tank stand sits against a wall so nothing hit the sump- maybe the baffles were a little snug and expanded ?:doh:

any clues ? I quess this is why people build them out of acrylic !!

Oh well back to the rubbermaid for now- it was really great to be able to see what was happening inside the sump so maybe I will take a shot at fabricating one out of acrylic because the price for store bought ones seems a little steep !

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Is this a 40g AGA? If so, I find that very unusual. What about a warranty...in the very least you should be able to get a new one for free.

In any event, sorry for the mess...that stinks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it was an brand new AGA from PetSmart, since I put in baffles I doubt the warranty will apply,

the stand is an AGA mission so yes its level- bad karma I guess
(at least it wasn't the 120G show tank !!!)

it just so much easier/nicer to be able to see into your sump !!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Unless the baffles were oversized such that they caused scratches in the acrylic when inserted, or placed outwrd p4ressure of their own (such that they were REALLY to big), they should actually improve the ability of your sump to withstand the outward forces of the waterweight once glued into place. This was probably an unobserved stratch or crack near the base that extended as the water rose in the sump until it extended all the way through the width of the acrylic. That SHOULD be a defect that is covered, regardless of the other things you did to the sump, but, you are dealing with retail...

Sorry to hear this, a lot will depend on who you take it back to. Look for someone besides the manager for the store.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
sorry about the trouble, i hate to ask, but you didnt get a 40 breeder critter cage on accident did you? other than that, i would think it was a faulty tank, it happens sometimes.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
forenpa1 said:
Hi Tom.,

tank was glass but I agree maybe there was a small undetected crack
:nuts:

heh, sorry about that...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts