The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
honestly, I wouldn't spend that much money on something rated for 100 gallons. Forget the bio bale stuff and just get a a big old skimmer and let your live rock take care of the biofiltration. You are going to want to look for a skimmer rated at roughly twice what your actual water volume is. That is a rough rule of thumb as skimmers really should be rated by bioload rather than water volume. Its just hard to guess how much poop you have in a tank so volume is used as a best guess. But I would want at least a skimmer rated at 300 for a 220 and 450 would be best. JMHO I guess I got pretty far off the original question but no, I have never ran one of those.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
I actually have the CPR Cyclone CY294 running on my 75 gallon reef and like it a lot. I removed the bio bale and use that section as my sump. The 294 has 2 inlets and 2 protein skimmers, but I am only using one side of it. I got it as part of a package deal with the tank for a steal, and am not sure I would have wanted to pay full price for it though. ;) The skimmer does a great job on my system and I have no complaints at all.

As jenglish stated, you may be able to get a better skimmer for that size tank and a sump is easy enough to make. It all depends on how your finances fall out for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts