The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Go buy some.What are you planning to keep your culture alive and growing?There's A LOT involved.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cant buy online or out of state sorry guys. btw mantiss, yeah i know hteres alot invloved, duh, but i got it all setup dont worry

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well you don't have to buy it out of state many places around here carry it.Cappuccino Bay,Marine Fish,maybe Imagine Ocean.Plus if you have your membership card you can get 10% off.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I don't carry DT. I WON'T carry DT.

Jenn

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I do my own cultures but I have so much backlogged now, I kinda quite and will start a new culture probbably sometime near the end of the year.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think she says she wont because of hte mishap with a reefer at nano-reefs.com and the owner of DTs. the owner FULLY apologized and now they are friends, im pretty sure. anyways i sadi DTs or something like it, i just wnat enough to start a culture i dont really feel lke spending 15 bux for a whole bottle of the stuff

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
for what it,s worth i havent put any dt,s in my tanks for over two years . everything is still alive and thriving. dts is a waste of time and money. i cant say weather cuturing your own phytoplankton is a worthwhile cause. but i'll stick to normal feedings.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Nishant3789 said:
i think she says she wont because of hte mishap with a reefer at nano-reefs.com and the owner of DTs. the owner FULLY apologized and now they are friends, im pretty sure. anyways i sadi DTs or something like it, i just wnat enough to start a culture i dont really feel lke spending 15 bux for a whole bottle of the stuff
WHAT??? :eek:

Nishant, you don't even know me. You may or may not have seen me at an ARC meeting but you've never even spoken to me. I don't believe you've been to my shop either. I'm really not impressed that you're putting words into my mouth, particularly when you don't have any second or third-hand information, let alone "firsthand" information. Please be careful with what you say - "repeating" incorrect information can get you into serious trouble.

First off, I've never even been to nano-reefs.com. Secondly I've not had any "mishaps" with anyone there, nor was I aware of any between hobbyists and the owner of DT, although that would not surprise me.

I'm certainly not friends with Dennis T. I've had one phone conversation with him about a year ago, when I was exploring the prospect of carrying his product, and found him to be bitterly contemptuous of hobbyists, especially those who invest in a bottle of his stuff, just to culture more of it. :rolleyes: He went on and on about proprietary names and people using his brand name for their impure cultures, he explained that he was moving his facility and changing his "recipe" to keep one step ahead of the hobbyist. He kept my husband on the phone for 45 minutes complaining of this, I spent 15 minutes on the phone with him myself and was sufficiently put off that I decided not to do business with him. I am a hobbyist. Hobbyists are my livelihood. I don't want to deal with anybody who doesn't respect and treat hobbyists appropriately, especially when they make their living from them. I don't bite the hands that feed me. This is simply a matter of personal choice, and not at all a commentary on his product. In a way I understand his frustration, but I just felt that this individual and this product were not suitable for me or my business, then or now. Perception is everything....... my first impression was bad.

However, having said that, during the meeting at CBA recently, I was given a bottle of the stuff by someone who wanted me to try it. It was wrapped up so I didn't know what it was until I opened it, a couple of days later. Nobody told me what it was, or to refrigerate it - so I had no idea until I opened the bottle. PEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW that stuff was BAD. That stuff is just narsty when it goes foul.

I'm sure it's fine stuff when it's properly refrigerated, but I'm not interested in it. I'd hate to see somebody accidentally foul their water with it, if they forgot to put it in the fridge, and then didn't catch a whiff before they dumped it in their tank! :eek: Call me lazy but I like stuff with a shelf life (and all those groovy perservatives! :funny: )

We feed the Kent line (Phytoplex, Zooplex and etc.) and we make our own "soup" (no blenders, please) out of frozen fish foods, Cyclop-eeze, flaked foods, pellets, and liquid preparations, and everything does just fine. Lots of particle sizes for fish, corals and inverts alike... no two batches are identical. Keeps things interesting. ;)

You don't need to buy DT for phyto culture. You can get Nanno discs at the link that Darkfrog posted, or you can grow your own random culture with discarded tank water and sunlight. Whatever microalgae is dominant in the bucket at that time will grow nice green soup for you. Just remember if you want to grow a pure culture, you will need to sterilize everything, and it's a big pain in the hiney. It's doable though. Question is, is it worth all your time and effort? Only you can answer that.

Jenn

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nishant you can get a small bottle for $8 or $9 dollars.

·
2,679 Posts
I guess I have to agree with jenn on a lot of her ideas about dts. However like I said I grow my own, and it is great for people that want to feed clams or one day my own fry. But I normally will culture for about 2 months, make enough to refriderate for probably 6 months and make some more, I can always bring you a bottle of my home brew if you want to try to culture your own. As Jenn what happens when you have a rotifer culture and a phytoplankton culture in the same room..not pretty...so pay a lot of heed when she says disinfect eveything, I use a bleach (non scented) (25%) and ro water (75 percent) solution for allof my bottles, tubing and pipes.

Ray

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im vertysorry jenn, i didnt mean it that way, what i meant was there was a slight mishap with dennis saying nano-reefs were a waste of time and were a joke to true hobbiests, and many pople boycotted his product. I thought you might have been part of that, really im very sorry. well tahnks for hte info i think i woill jsut put a whole bunch of old tank water intot he sun, and see what grows. thanks
nishant

·
2,679 Posts
Nishant,

If you are at the next reef club meeting, I can bring you a bottle of my phytoplankton. I have been able to kickstart directly from it, by using a couple of teaspoons of it, about 10 drops of high quality plant food, and mix it a bottle with 20 percent mixed saltwater (DO NOT USE OLD TANK WATER, FRESH MIXED ONLY) and 80 Percent RO water. Use good, good lighting, I am using about 70 watts of Normal Flourscents for both temp control and lighting, and use an air pump and long tubing to continously aggitate the mix in a sterilized 2 litre bottle.

After you add the phyto, for about 2 days it will clear up, then slowly start to turn green in about 4 days or so. After about 7-8 days it will be a dark green and you can start harvesting and/or splitting into new bottles. Remember when you split it, add about 10 drops of plant food, and keep the water mix about the same.

Ray

1 - 16 of 16 Posts