The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone own or have had any previous experience with a tropical fish pond? I live in SoCal and love tetras so I recently started a 300 gallon above ground pond that is heated by 3 500 watt heaters and has a large pond filter. It is also in a shaded area with lots of plants like anubias and Java fern. I have not been able to find anyone who has had a pond of this type. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
That'll be tough info to come by around here. TRT mostly deals with the methods behind keeping saltwater aquariums. There is a freshwater forum, but its more for those of us that also have freshwater tanks.

Maybe Monsterfishkeepers might be able help out.

·
Mermaid in disguise
2,475 Posts
Does anyone own or have had any previous experience with a tropical fish pond? I live in SoCal and love tetras so I recently started a 300 gallon above ground pond that is heated by 3 500 watt heaters and has a large pond filter. It is also in a shaded area with lots of plants like anubias and Java fern. I have not been able to find anyone who has had a pond of this type. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Many people do this when keeping rays or other large fish that need a ton of space. I think as long as your pond doesn't get too cold (how warm is the water with the heater?) you should be fine :) Don't take my word for it though as I've never done it myself :p haha
I'd treat the pond as you would an aquarium, just modified. Also, what do you have for water movement? I'd definitely have some sort of fountain/waterfall to keep the water from being stagnant.
What kind of tetras are you looking at?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts