The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for one for a while now and it seems they are REAL HARD to come by. I know what to look for in a female mandarin but have never seen one in person so would like to be more sure. If someone has a picture of the dorsal fine differences that would be awesome.

Many Thanks,

Beng

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you know what a male looks like, the female will be obvious. The key is to look closely at the first spine and make sure it was not broken for some reason.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaahh, many Thanks man. That's a nice FAT female.

Hope you don't mind me asking, did you get lucky and just got a female or did you specifically order it from somewhere?

Again, many Thanks for the photo it helps alot.

Beng

·
Registered
387 Posts
Beng said:
Aaahh, many Thanks man. That's a nice FAT female.
She's sick. Something like a tumor or other abnormal growth. Looks like she swallowed two marbles and they settles on each side of her abdomin. Other than that she is healthy.

Beng said:
Hope you don't mind me asking, did you get lucky and just got a female or did you specifically order it from somewhere?

Again, many Thanks for the photo it helps alot.

Beng
Actually when I was looking for a pair to start breeding, I had to go to Chicago (I was there on business) to get a male. I couldn't find one in the cities. I'd be hesitant to order a specific sexed fish mailorder. It seems to be difficult enough to get the right fish, much less the right sex of the right fish. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts