The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever use this the price is right for my 65 gal corner tank

Total output 223W. Fits up to 27"L aquarium.
Approx Fixture Size: 20"L x 11.5"W x 3.5"H
System Support: 1x175W HQI, 2x24W CF, and 2xBluemoon LED

Odyssea metal halide system (Version 4) comes with:
  • non-corrosive powder coated housing
  • built-in cooling fans
  • external ballast
  • tempered glass splash guard
  • hanging kit and mounting brackets
FREE item* listed below:
1x double ended 175W HQI bulb
2x
compact fluorescent 24W bulb actinic blue
2x plug in bluemoon LED

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Yea most of the lighting on that site is not made well and cheap and goes out soon ballast short out bulbs dont light,switches go out,I threw mine out a long time ago,you get what ya pay for in lighting.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Casey, now have you ever used this ligthing? I know pleanty of Reefers that have this the 36" 48" and the 72" running on their systems without any of the so called fires that a few (2) of thousand sold a year have reported. Yes there components are larger (Ballast) but they work out just the same as say your $1000.00 units. I say you can't knock it until you tried it.

As for the light, there bulbs can be upgraded for the Actinics are more purple then blue which i like. But then again that is just personal. For the price you can not go wrong.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Welcome to TRT Joe,Yes I have used it and hated it also know many other unhappy fellow reefers with this light,I will not recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess i could try this one from DIYREEF.com

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Oh yea Chad now your talking top quality thats a nice one.:beer:

·
Registered
711 Posts
I had the light on top in the 48" version and didnt like it at all. I thought it was very cheaply made, and it heated up my tank alot.

I now use a mogul based bulb on a icecap electronic ballast and am much happier.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to admit i have learned more here by reading old posts then going to my local reef keeping store

I am really considering buying a 75 gal show tank and give my daughter the 65 corrner tank for her chiclids.

then the mounting of the light will not be as big of a issue

·
Registered
104 Posts
I still think that the Jebo/Odyysea product are good for the price and will work very well. AS LONG AS THEY ARE PROPERLY MAINTAINED JUST LIKE ANYOTHER PRODUCT WE USE.

As mentioned above either the Retro kit or the T5 unit. I personal have the T5-HO 8x 54 with no problems! The TEK unit is very thin and light. Except that the 8 bulb unit is 1" deeper than my 90gal tank, I am still able to get the bulb reflection into the tank just right. I am now in the process of building a canopy that will house the fixture and allow front access for feeding and such. I highly recomend the TEK T5-HO hood and retro kits.

Chad for your 75gal i would recommned the 6 or 4 bulb retro unit with a IceCap 660 electronic ballasts which will overpower them to around 80 plus watts per. Reported test using the Icecap will alow the lights to be brighter and last longer. So with a 4 bulb you will be at 320w and 6 bulb you will be at 480w.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Welcome Chad and Berlin Joe!!

About the light, I really believe you get what you pay for, I made a few not so good decisions when I first started in this hobby and had to replace the products bought after a few months, not very good. You are entitle to learn the hard way, as I did. Hope the lights work out for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think i am going to order the light kit as seen above ... which bulb should i go with? the tanks is about 20" deep

1 - 18 of 18 Posts