The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try to move my tank 1.5" - 2" away from the wall so I can put my new MP40 on the back of the tank. I have a 93 gallon cube tank sitting on the Marineland stand that was made for the tank. The stand has a 1" thick plywood base that everything else sits on. The stand is sitting on hardwood flooring with the slats running favorably for the move. I'm thinking if I get moving straps and wrap them around the tank at the very bottom only along the base plywood and have me and one other strong person on either side bracing ourselves against the wall, we could move it a few inches.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Drain it down as far you can then move it and pump the water right back in....preferably through a canister filter to remove any detritus that stirred up :)

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
I got smart and bought those magic sliders and placed them under the corners of my stand when first setting up the tank. While I doubt one could push a car with just a finger, it does allow just me to slide my 65 back and forth with a little effort whereas that was impossible before.

But yea, in your case, you'll want to drain as much as possible and then filter return it because 1000+lbs isn't going to be an easy task.

·
Registered
711 Posts
YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Just tryin to keep it positive...

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
I think you can slide it on hardwood if its water is mostly removed. I don't know about trying to pull it though. It would be nice if you could use something to slowly move it from the wall using a board to push against the wall.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did it!

I drained 20 gallons of water first. Two of us picked up the front of the tank just barely while two other guys braced themselves and used the straps to shift the tank forward. We moved it 2 inches and it only took 45 minutes :thumbup:

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Nice work! When I read the title of the post I shuddered a little and wanted to hide my eyes.

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
I did it!

I drained 20 gallons of water first. Two of us picked up the front of the tank just barely while two other guys braced themselves and used the straps to shift the tank forward. We moved it 2 inches and it only took 45 minutes :thumbup:
so glad nothing bad happened.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
wow, i done a similar thing once with my 46... i laid down on the floor and grabbed the bottome of the stand, i pulled as hard as i could to move it an inch or so, and when i did it came to far to fast, and i am laying down in front of this tank right?.... so the tank moves a good 2 or 3 inches, its full of water, it moves this far in less than a second it seemed, and when the slosh came over the front of the tank geuss who got drenched.... :(

I was also lucky i didnt cause a rock collapse, or worse a tank break by the sloshing water...

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
wow, i done a similar thing once with my 46... i laid down on the floor and grabbed the bottome of the stand, i pulled as hard as i could to move it an inch or so, and when i did it came to far to fast, and i am laying down in front of this tank right?.... so the tank moves a good 2 or 3 inches, its full of water, it moves this far in less than a second it seemed, and when the slosh came over the front of the tank geuss who got drenched.... :(

I was also lucky i didnt cause a rock collapse, or worse a tank break by the sloshing water...
Thats what I was afraid was going to happen to him. Worked out though!!:funny:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Or several hundred pounds of glass hitting your head. I have mine strapped to the wall. I don't trust it with the kids running around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts