The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its taking over my tank and i really need to thin it out. i would love to trade for a frag. but if you dont have anyhting to trade thats fine too.
;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I do not think i am going to make it to the april meeting but i would be willing to meet up somewhere if anybody is interested.
my mailing address is greer but i am practically in taylors...about half a mile from eastside high school on hudson rd.
this is my first reef tank (nano-reef) and it will be one year old in may. i guess its time to start sharing some of the "growth". i would love to help out a newbie (although i still consider myself one!)
there is some anthellia mixed in there too. i am not really sure how to successfully frag/cut it, but if anybody wants to trade something i may be persuaded to try

another view-

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Hey Snake, glad to see you finally made it over here... BTW, you live about a mile from me... i live on Edwards

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
You can most successfully have it "frag" by taking a rubberband or string and wrap it around the base of a branch that you want to be a cutting. Gradually tighten it over every other day for abut two weeks, and the piece will become independant by occlusion. After about two to three weeks, this can be cut awy from the parent if it doese not drop off on its own. You can do several at one time, just be sure to keep a good number of the branches that have oral openings on them for the parent colony. Physically cutting these branches without the occlusive prep often leads to demise of the parent colony and poor survival of the cuttings.

A good developing (but incomplete at this time) resource for the 89 different spp. of Alcyoniids from the Indonesean seas is found at : http://www.aims.gov.au/pages/softcorals-seafans/soft-corals02.html

HTH, post here if you need more clarification on the technique, or check Anthony Calfo's "Coral Propagation" book vol 1.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks fat tony! i was wondering why nobody was posting anyhitng new on reef monkey....now i see why!

i will check out that link tdwyatt! thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I've always just hacked off as much as I need with my favorite kitchen shears. I treat the sucker as a bonsai tree to keep it in check. Haven't had any problems with the main colony. Only complaints I've gotten about my kenya frags are they are over growing ppls tanks. Maybe mine is an unusually healthy one? I got it from Timmy who said it was plotting to take over his tank, so I beat it down every chance I get.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would love to have some, i have 1 piece that i got from Traci. Its
the only piece i have in a 75 gallon tank. I will take as much as you are willing to give. Will you be at our meeting sat night. If not I could get it from you sat before the meeting. Greg
I would love some xenia too! :>

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kenya for-ya!

I would love to have some, i have 1 piece that i got from Traci. Its
the only piece i have in a 75 gallon tank. I will take as much as you are willing to give. Will you be at our meeting sat night. If not I could get it from you sat before the meeting. Greg
I would love some xenia too! :>
i have a lot going on saturday and i do not think i can make it to the meeting. however if you are driving from seneca to spartanburg you will be going "near" me. you can swing by my house and grab some or I would be willing to meet you at I-85 if you dont want to get too far off track.
I work at pelham and 85 so i am very familiar with exit 54. its not too far from my house.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i will send you my cell #
i have somehting going on from 3-5.
i will be around the house from noon until about 2:45. if you want to come that early thats fine.
or i will be back after 5 if you wanna come by then.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that sounds good. i am off of exit 54 on I-85. about 20 minutes from spartanburg. you will take exit 69 to go to buckys. 69-54=15 miles

go to bucky's post about the meeting and thier is a link to a map. if you ask for driving directions to buckys from seneca, the website will show you the best way is right down I-85
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/8-1JCBJU...7:34.770038:-82.432279:0::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e

I will be at jumpzone on pelham for my niece's birthday from 3-5. whoo-hoo!
so you may end up behind me on the way to my house from 85 &pelham rd!

lets meet at my house between 5-530. that way you can get on your way to buckys for the meeting

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nephrurus - how are the kenya trees working out? any luck getting them attached to rock? are they perking up?

as i mentioned i had luck just laying them on a rock and letting them grab hold on their own. you can also try rubber bands (not too tight!)

·
Registered
680 Posts
they are doing great, i threaded them to a rock and they are standing up and doing fine.. Thanks so much, you didn't
miss anything at the meeting
:nuts:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i hope the kenya made the trip a little worthwhile!
post a pic when they get attached and opened up. i would love to see something from my tank transplanted to somebody else's....this is a first for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
still have any tree coral?

If you still have any coral you need to thin out, I am DEFINATELY interested. I just started my 14 gallon biocube in July and am adding little frags of different types of coral.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts