The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odyssea 48" 216W (4x 54W) T5 HO Light Fixture Extendable Series

I just copy and pasted the whole name, is that wattage to low for a 100 gallon 2ft deep? Just found it online very affordable

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is what I have know Coralife Lunar Aqualight with one 96watt True Actinic 03 Blue and one 96watt 10,000K Daylight compact fluorescent, is that an upgrade from what I have?

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow thats crazy considering that I bought the ones I have I bought for $300, well that what i get for not researching first and fully trusting the LFS huh, no offense to LFS workers out there, Im gonna get those for now then, can I keep any SPS or LPS with those lights? I come to find out I cant with the lights I have now

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right on sounds good thank you guys, zach_24_90 that was a very good review to read thank you

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have two of these lights over my 4ft Oceanic 120 gallon. No problems and lots of light for $178 with free shipping. Very happy for the money. No individual reflectors though and bulbs are definitely cheaper but for the money can't go wrong in my opinion. I am not a huge fan of Aquatrader's customer service though. One of the four ballasts I received had parts bouncing around inside of it. I called aquatraders for help and was advised I had to do it online only. I than had to pay out of my pocket to ship the broken ballast back and than they paid to ship me a new one. I disagreed with having pay to ship a broken part back but I guess for the price I paid and free shipping it wasn't the end of the world. Just wasn't great customer service. Also, I like the blue LED's but having the LED's on for both of the lights is too much blue so I only run the LED's on one of the lights for about 3 hrs a night. My fish seem to be less stressed when the blue LED's are not on all night. Just an FYI, if you plan to run these under a canopy you will need some fans. I tried running both of these lights are an enclosed canopy and they got very hot so I installed four PC fans at the back of my canopy and lights now run cooler than if I had the canopy off. I have the ballasts mounted below my tank on the wall of stand and they barely get warm.

·
Registered
454 Posts
That's a sweet deal on lights. My lights are PC 260w with moon, and i paid 300$, i might get some if my bulbs burn out.
Can you buy better bulbs and put them in this set-up? like say more Watts? or would it burn the fixture out?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Do I need to run a chiller with that light?

No, you may need to add a fan, but I doubt it.

That's a sweet deal on lights. My lights are PC 260w with moon, and i paid 300$, i might get some if my bulbs burn out.
Can you buy better bulbs and put them in this set-up? like say more Watts? or would it burn the fixture out?
You can buy better bulbs for Odyssea light fixtures.

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont have a canopy my lights just sit on top the glass covers I have on my tank I want to build a canopy though so I guess I'll be put a fan on it, thats no problem though

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
this is what I have know Coralife Lunar Aqualight with one 96watt True Actinic 03 Blue and one 96watt 10,000K Daylight compact fluorescent, is that an upgrade from what I have?
yes lol t5hos are an upgrade from those
Sorry to say but that's not really accurate. The benefit of T5HO's comes from using a good individual parabolic reflector wrapped tightly over each bulb. Without the reflector, a T5HO bulb does not provide more output that a comparable wattage PC bulb. The Aquatraders fixture is nothing more than their old PC fixture retrofitted with T5HO bulbs. It uses the same wide reflector design that does not increase the output like an individual parabolic does.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Sorry to say but that's not really accurate. The benefit of T5HO's comes from using a good individual parabolic reflector wrapped tightly over each bulb. Without the reflector, a T5HO bulb does not provide more output that a comparable wattage PC bulb. The Aquatraders fixture is nothing more than their old PC fixture retrofitted with T5HO bulbs. It uses the same wide reflector design that does not increase the output like an individual parabolic does.
actually they are way better. thats what i switched from thanks.
anytime anybody says one word about these lights you have to say they are no good, your the only one. nobody else will argue that on a budget its a decent light. sorry we dont all have hundreds to spend on MH lights or whatever but for $100 these are good lights. and its not like they have one huge crappy reflector stuck up in there. its actually 2 decent reflector. better than nothing. sorry if i sound like a jerk right now i like you and you give really good advice but when ppl are sitting here sharing their experiences with them being actually decent lights and then you come and say like.. no its a crappy light you dont want that. it gets frustrating, everytime.. we're not saying its as good as a $400 fixture but it works well enough on a budget.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts