The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been using their 4.4 gallon jugs to do water changes on my 55gal mixed tank for the last month or two. Seems to be good stuff and saves me time with mixing and R/0. Ive heard about some other guys not using it because of the cost, but my lfs sells this stuff for about $14 and thats the cheapest ive seen it anywhere. The only issue ive had so far is the salinity seems to be a bit high, around 1.028 but everything else seems to be on par. My fish and coral seem to love it. Anyone else have experience using it?

·
Administrator
46,889 Posts
have you read the website and FAQ's, just curious? They really promote the fact that it is "Naturally Filtered" sea water and better than Ocean Water pumped from the sea. OK What is the source and how is it naturally filtered. Contains planktonic bacteria(REALLY) and ya all the trace elements found in sea water( as do most salt mixes) and further touts it is "Instant Start" for new tanks, then as you read further they want you to by their live sand and substrates. Stated Shelf life is 12 months, What does that mean? What standards are they using? IF they use real seawater how do they filter out and possible pollutants while keeping the "Planktonic bacteria" in it and alive in a jug for 12 months. Very few of the heterotrophic bacteria responsible for "cycling" occur in the water column. Here is a cut and paste from there FAQ:
Where does Nutri Seawater come from?

Answer: Nutri-Seawater® is 100% Natural Live Ocean Seawater®. Nature’s Ocean Live Nutri-Seawater™ contains live, naturally-occurring planktonic bacteria, which makes it the best product for monthly water changes.
[unquote]
I am a bit skeptical after 30 years in the hobby and seeing a lot of claims and at $14 for 4.4 gallons you should be able to get ASW Cheaper. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of money! If you don't want to mix your own water fish stores usually sell their RO/DI saltwater mix for $1 a gallon.

Considering most people mix their own saltwater and have very successful tanks I am guessing you are just wasting your money.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I agree with Eric and Doug. Sounds like a way to make money off people new to the hobby. Nothing "instantly cycles" your tank - many bottled bacterias claim the same and are crap. Most people new to the hobby are daunted by the cycling process and the waiting game it entails - this sounds like someone decided to profit off of that. (and if I remember correctly another member decided to try this a while back and kept getting random ammonia readings - turns out it was the nutrisea water adding ammonia to the tank each change).

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
It seem pretty costly for natural saltwater, Petco has a different brand or maybe the same brand for about 10.00 and I'm not sure what Catalina cost. The only time I have used boxed natural saltwater was for setting up a emergency QT tank. Come in handy for that.

I would invest in a RO/DI and mix your own. pretty simple to do, you will have better control and save a bunch of money.

What are you using for top off water? if it's salt water the salinity will keep rising. and are you using a refractor or a hydrometer to test salinity?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seem pretty costly for natural saltwater, Petco has a different brand or maybe the same brand for about 10.00 and I'm not sure what Catalina cost. The only time I have used boxed natural saltwater was for setting up a emergency QT tank. Come in handy for that.

I would invest in a RO/DI and mix your own. pretty simple to do, you will have better control and save a bunch of money.

What are you using for top off water? if it's salt water the salinity will keep rising. and are you using a refractor or a hydrometer to test salinity?
No I use ro/di freshwater for my top offs. And I measure salinity with a hydrometer. I only tried using the nutri water to give it a whirl and to see what it was all about.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Well you can always add some RO/DI to the natural water to bring the salinity down a bit, But I would invest in a refractor to get a more accurate reading. the hydrometers are not the most accurate way to test.

Also if you want to keep using the water check out Petco, I best you can save some money there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with Eric and Doug. Sounds like a way to make money off people new to the hobby. Nothing "instantly cycles" your tank - many bottled bacterias claim the same and are crap. Most people new to the hobby are daunted by the cycling process and the waiting game it entails - this sounds like someone decided to profit off of that. (and if I remember correctly another member decided to try this a while back and kept getting random ammonia readings - turns out it was the nutrisea water adding ammonia to the tank each change).
Yeah I understand the cycling process, but my tank has been cycled for a while now. I am only using this stuff for partial water changes, the only thing I've noticed is the salinity reads high. I haven't had any ammonia spikes or anything like that, but I may switch back to ro/di because the cost does run a bit high. It just saved me a little maintainence of having to make ro/di saltwater and keeping bins with power heads in them taking up room in my laundry room.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well you can always add some RO/DI to the natural water to bring the salinity down a bit, But I would invest in a refractor to get a more accurate reading. the hydrometers are not the most accurate way to test.

Also if you want to keep using the water check out Petco, I best you can save some money there.
Yeah I'd like to invest one , do they make any digital probes for salinity? It would be nice if they had a system that monitored every parameter under the sun lol. It gets to be a pain mixing up them little vials for every single test haha

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Yeah I understand the cycling process, but my tank has been cycled for a while now. I am only using this stuff for partial water changes, the only thing I've noticed is the salinity reads high. I haven't had any ammonia spikes or anything like that, but I may switch back to ro/di because the cost does run a bit high. It just saved me a little maintainence of having to make ro/di saltwater and keeping bins with power heads in them taking up room in my laundry room.
Have you checked around to see if any stores sell premixed water? I agree about the convenience. When I was just running one tank I'd buy premixed water at my LFS for about $1.25 a gallon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah the closest store around me that does is about an hour away. I usually make the trip 2-3 times a month and make sure i get stocked up with whatever i need. My last trip was saturday and ended up buying 3- 5 gallon jugs of salt and 2- 5 gallon jugs of RO freshwater for top offs. I made the mistake of leaving them in my truck over night and for some odd reason two of the salt jugs had leaks in them and about ten gallons worth leaked into my truck over night. I have no idea how this would of happened because the lids were tight and i could not find any large holes in the jugs so they must of had a pinhole somewhere in them. But still thats alot of water to drain out over night.. Still blows my mind. And my entire carpet of my floor is still soaking wet, i had to buy some of them moisture bags and hopefully the salt wont rust out my floor board over time.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Yeah the closest store around me that does is about an hour away. I usually make the trip 2-3 times a month and make sure i get stocked up with whatever i need. My last trip was saturday and ended up buying 3- 5 gallon jugs of salt and 2- 5 gallon jugs of RO freshwater for top offs. I made the mistake of leaving them in my truck over night and for some odd reason two of the salt jugs had leaks in them and about ten gallons worth leaked into my truck over night. I have no idea how this would of happened because the lids were tight and i could not find any large holes in the jugs so they must of had a pinhole somewhere in them. But still thats alot of water to drain out over night.. Still blows my mind. And my entire carpet of my floor is still soaking wet, i had to buy some of them moisture bags and hopefully the salt wont rust out my floor board over time.
This alone sounds costly, and thats just gas. If your worried about bins and space then why not setup a permanent rig? I have a 30g tank on a rack stand next to the 2 tanks in my dinning room, i make 25g of ro/di a week and store it in there and can easily top off the tanks with a small bucket. Between the 2 tanks and the other 3 around the house we easily go thru 25g a week in topoffs and weekly waterchanges. When its time to mix in salt i just have 1 spare pump in there and add in what salt i need to over a period of an hour and its ready to be pumped into whichever tank. I think with going to tge lfs thats an hour away buying your own ro/di unit and mixing your own water will save you time and money in the long run.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,660 Posts
I used Petco which is Catalina.as for LFS,most don't change there filters and most mite only use RO if that.they don't worry for long life as it's for turn over holding tanks.my fish and coral did do better then fake seawater( salt mix).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This alone sounds costly, and thats just gas. If your worried about bins and space then why not setup a permanent rig? I have a 30g tank on a rack stand next to the 2 tanks in my dinning room, i make 25g of ro/di a week and store it in there and can easily top off the tanks with a small bucket. Between the 2 tanks and the other 3 around the house we easily go thru 25g a week in topoffs and weekly waterchanges. When its time to mix in salt i just have 1 spare pump in there and add in what salt i need to over a period of an hour and its ready to be pumped into whichever tank. I think with going to tge lfs thats an hour away buying your own ro/di unit and mixing your own water will save you time and money in the long run.
Yeah youre right, honestly now that i think about it im not saving any room really by having 5 gallon jugs of the store bought stuff laying around anyway

1 - 15 of 15 Posts