1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I'm not a big fan of wet/dry filters...they tend to cause nitrate problems as they don't house the anaerobic bacteria that turn nitrate into nitrogen gas.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know but with enough live rock and such a small system i thought it would help. im using a huge canister for a 100 gallon tank right now only becuase i have nothing else but i want to tone it down a bit.

so you dont think?

·
Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
no, i would recommend an aqua c remora instead. you need a skimmer not a filter. that is my best recommendation.
+1 on skimmer not filter. mechanical filtration isn't really necessary in marine tanks. you need to remove the biological material, which a skimmer can do for you without storing up nitrates.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I disagree! you need it on a FO tank.
i do see where the generel consensus leans toward a skimmer.....but my wallet is telling me that he would like loverotties to elaborate!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
We're talking 10 gallons here...I don't think you need anything...I have 3 x 24G nano's in my house...none of them have skimmers or any type of mechanical filtration...just a 10%-20% water change every week.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I think a cheap aquaclear HOB with some carbon or purigen is good on a nano. I would steer clear of internals for the most part. I have used some internals and besides taking up space in an already small tank, they tend to be more of a PITA to service. your mileage may vary

·
Registered
62 Posts
no, i would recommend an aqua c remora instead. you need a skimmer not a filter. that is my best recommendation.
if I may respectfully disagree, I think a skimmer would be overboard on such a small tank. filtration and faithful water changes should do the trick.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
i do see where the generel consensus leans toward a skimmer.....but my wallet is telling me that he would like loverotties to elaborate!!!!!
N/P You need some kind of filter on all types of tanks! Reefs and FOWLR use the rock as filter and with FO you need some kind of filter and you don't have rock and the next best thing is a wet/dry.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i would do 2 koralia nanos or maybe even number 1's.....if your gonna have lots of rock i would do 2 number 1's...i like lots of flow though...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts