The Reef Tank banner

Any tips for a new 55 gallon reef set-up for a newbie

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr.Peanut 
#1 ·
My wife and I have decided to make the jump into a reef set-up in our 55 gallon tank. We have kept some fresh water tanks and they are not all that exciting.

Here is the set-up:

55 gallon tank

Auqa Clear Aquatics filter system

We placed the water in the tank on June 20th. Put 20lbs of live rock in there on the 21st. We are planning to add about 30 tiny crabs on the 23rd.

Everything I have been told is from our local reef store and I trust them, but would like some other ideas.

First, my filter is using the little blue balls in a sump like filter system. I have already read on here that people are into that anymore. Why is that, or what is better?

My tank is just getting started. I have plans to have about 5-10 fish in a reef set-up, but at what points should I add what? How many pounds of live rock will I need? I feel like there has to be a better place to buy my live rock, but where? When do I add coral? Should I get frags, or just buy full formed pieces? Is it safe for the reef to put in pieces from online sellers shipped over night?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is a lot to take in all at once.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm almost 3 years into the hobby and feel like I have a ton to learn. You will make a bunch of errors in the beginning.

Just start reading all the threads on here. Click each one no matter how small and you'll learn a lot.

The blue balls can cause nitrates to rise so they are not used by many with reefs. Also, don't add any live animals until your tank cycles.

#4 ·
I have 22lbs of live rock so far. How much should I have before the fish arrive? What is my solution if the blue balls are a problem? should just take them out or will I need a different pump/filter assembly? The local marine fish store swears by these bio ball filters, they have them running in all their tanks.

I have been getting most of my stuff from them and they have indicated that we could add tiny crabs to the tank a few days into the cycle. I take that this is not recommended?

#5 ·
.... The local marine fish store swears by these bio ball filters, they have them running in all their tanks.
This is a debate that will never end. Some people swear by them and some just despise them.

As far as the live rock goes I use 1lb per gallon of water, some use more and some use less. I think the more quality rock you have the better filtration you will have.

Let your tank completely cycle before you add the fish. It may take 2 weeks or it may take a month. Just make sure all the rock you are planning to use is in the tank. Take it from me, "Patience is the answer".

Also don't overstock your tank and please don't add fish just to cycle the tank. All it does is kill the fish the majority of the time or makes them so miserable they just give up the ghost. Or you come home and all 10 chromis are dead and your water is already going backwards.

Read up on livestock and make sure your tank can handle them. Some of these cute little fish grow to over 12" and some even bigger.

Good luck to you and keep reading the forums because this is by far the best site out IMO.:fish:

#6 ·
One thing to watch out for is the LFS telling you that certain fish are compatible with others. I ALWAYS go home and read up on the fish I'm interested on buying to make sure it should (theres always a chance it might not) get along with everyone, and what the best order would be to add my selection of fish (usually the most aggressive fish goes last). This website has been the best tool for me by far!

#7 ·
congrats and welcome. this is by far the most helpful site i found.
just a newbie myself, and i heard all the same thinga about the bioballs you did. seems the old school guys like undergravels and wet/drys. i went with what loverotties said. get about 1 pound per gallon of good live rock. good means very porous. this allows more surface area for the "good bacteria" that act as your filter to colonize. if you want a more open tank you can use a little less but you need lots of flow(from powerheads and such)to move the water around enough.

next i would think about a protein skimmer, this will help with extra junk removal like what your fish leave behind when they eat.

how are you planning to get the water from your tank to your wet/dry?
most 55 gallon tanks are tempered on all sides so drilling it for overflows is likley out of the question.

also consider your lighting. it is much more demanding in a reef setting than freshwater.

and like they all said.........patience.

#8 ·
Okay here is the story so far...

I am being patient and slow here as I am by no means rich, nor in a hurry to hurt the aquarium I have set-up. I started this on the 20th of June and am slowly adding live rock. I have 22lbs so far, but plan to have 60 in there before any fish come.

I already have the wet / dry set-up with the bio balls and will have to use this for now at least since I do not have any budget for any other option as of yet. This is providing the only water flow in my set-up right now. However, I am planning to buy two Koralia 2 or 3 power heads as per what I have read in here so far. Does that sound about right? Further, what flow rate should they be?

When you guys mention LFS, does that mean live fish store? I will listen to what they say, but I will not add any fish without looking it up online and in here first. I am sure that my budget will allow me to buy only 1 or 2 fish a month anyhow.

What about coral? When is it right to add it in? I am more excited about the coral than the fish. I have heard a lot of people in these forums speak about acquiring frags. How does that work? I have read than people get frags and space them around the tank and then let time fill in the space between. I would love to watch tank grow with color. It the gluing and handling of these frags difficult?

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I am just hoping to do this without making too many mistakes.

Mark & Cindy

#10 ·
Okay here is the story so far...

I am being patient and slow here as I am by no means rich, nor in a hurry to hurt the aquarium I have set-up. I started this on the 20th of June and am slowly adding live rock. I have 22lbs so far, but plan to have 60 in there before any fish come.

I already have the wet / dry set-up with the bio balls and will have to use this for now at least since I do not have any budget for any other option as of yet. This is providing the only water flow in my set-up right now. However, I am planning to buy two Koralia 2 or 3 power heads as per what I have read in here so far. Does that sound about right? Further, what flow rate should they be?

When you guys mention LFS, does that mean live fish store? I will listen to what they say, but I will not add any fish without looking it up online and in here first. I am sure that my budget will allow me to buy only 1 or 2 fish a month anyhow.

What about coral? When is it right to add it in? I am more excited about the coral than the fish. I have heard a lot of people in these forums speak about acquiring frags. How does that work? I have read than people get frags and space them around the tank and then let time fill in the space between. I would love to watch tank grow with color. It the gluing and handling of these frags difficult?

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I am just hoping to do this without making too many mistakes.

Mark & Cindy
ok sounds good so far, some people might tell you to take out the bioballs right away, they tend to colonize bacteria that add to nitrates not reduce them. but for your budgets sake, stick with what you got and when your ready to get a skimmer you can remove them only a couple at a time over the course of 3-4 weeks until you have none in there and are running your skimmer.

just got my first frag today!! and its been about 2 months after my cycle. like cutie two said frags are small pieces of coral you can glue or place according to what and where the species prefer. the type you will be able to keep depend heavily on your lighting.

the koralia's are a good idea i have a 55 and am also planning on getting 3 #2's maybe even a wavemaker to simulate the ocean currents. these have a set flow rate i believe th #2's are 600gph(gallons per hour). place them in your tank so that they move detritus(fish poop and junky stuff) to easily accessible areas for siphoning.

if you have 22lbs. of LR(live rock) already then if you want to save some money and have some patience, you can look for base rock. marco rock is good for that as it provides a very porous surface area for bacteria to colonize. this will in time become LR as the bacteria from your already thriving LR move about and makes itself a new home. plus you will get that chance to watch your tank come alive!!

some people dont even put fish in there reef tanks. if they do in a 55 you usually would meet your quota in 3 months if you added 1 or two per month.......but again this will depend heavily on wether or not you run a skimmer and how much gunk it pulls from the water

now you need to decide what kind of substrate(sand, crushed coral, bare bottom)you want in the tank if you havent already. each has its benefits and drawbacks.

your asking all the right questions, so keep on doing your homework.:thumbup:

#9 ·
LFS means local fish store..you were close;) Frags are pieces of coral that either fall off on their own or are cut up b/c they are getting too big. I think it's best to get frags as it is more environmentally friendly, and you know they are healthy and will do well in captivity. Also i wouldn't listen to your LFS too much..a lot of people from there don't know what they are talking about. but hey maybe u are lucky:) good luck!

#12 ·
Here is something to keep in mind when you decide to start buying fish. When I am interested in buying a fish, I ask the LFS employee to feed that particular fish. If it does not eat, I will usually move on.

and Welcome to TRT....
huh? thats interesting. how come?

#15 ·
I just tore down my 55 in prep for a 90. I had 2 Koralia's 1's... not enough flow from them. #2 or greater on those. I had around 50 lbs of rock...

With the fish thing a good rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gal of water. With that said make sure you are looking at the full grown length. I went by this and never really had a problem.

One good thing to remember... we all have our own ideas and knowhows that work for us. Do what works for you... and eventually you will have a tank that work for you.

Good Luck.... and do lots of reading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.