The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm new here so forgive me if i do something weird. i have a 7 month old reef tank. i have 2 damsels, pygmy angel, and a baby gold bared maroon clownfish. my corals are the overall hardy/beginner corals. the only sensitive ones are a single polyped duncan and a small open brain coral. the brain is the only hard coral, all others are softies. i have a purple and red slime algae break out. i have a 29 gallon biocube with no other added equiptment except a heater. I am very confused, because i have red coralline algae growing on the right side of my tank. Coralline algae need good water t grow right? then why do i have a slime break out. i have read up on how to, but i need to talk to some real people that have experience. I just started a weekly log, and here are my parameters as of right now(no water change yet): /PH: 8.6, Specific Gravity:1.024, temp. 81 F, Nitrate 20ppm. the reason for the temp. is that i just fought off an ich infection, but it is gone now, and i'm paranoid. how should i gradually get the tank used to an easier temp?

·
Registered
827 Posts
probably a little over stocked with 4 fish in the cube I have the same setup and only have to fish and feel its sufficiently stocked with fish (they're 2 clowns) what kind of water to you use, how often do you change water, Phosphate levels??, how long are your lights on. It sounds like cyanobacteria and coraline will grow in less then perfect water conditions right along side of everything else. Do a water 20% water change and turn the lights off for a few days. I would recommend another power head to the tank it helps keep detritus off the bottom.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use R.O. water from my home filtration system. last i did a water change was a month ago. i recently took out my ugly rio powerhead because it would not stay on the glass. that was the only change i made to it. i will now do a water change of 5% every week, starting with your recommendation. i currently don't have a phosphate tester right now. so i'll put my powerhead back into the tank and see how things look in the morning.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Good call on starting the weekly water changes in your system do a couple 20% and then you can do the 5's and it should make a difference

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes and no. i had a 1 inch patch of the red algae on the opposite side of the tank of the main output from the filter. it was like that for 3 weeks. since i took it out, ( bout a week ago ) the algae just grew like crazy. also do you think any reef safe animals that will eat the algae?

·
Registered
827 Posts
turbo snails might I would do a Lights out for a few days that with the water changes usually helps me when I have cyano or algae issues

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the thing is is that if i go without lights for a few days, will that effect my brain coral? i am not feeding it (chunks of food). it seems to be doing fine under the lighting.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Welcome to trt!!
You can do away with the red slime easily by buying red-slime remover. The problem is that's only a band aid and the red slime will return because you haven't removed the problem. I agree with the others that your tank maybe overstocked with fish. I would also suggest a nano skimmer if you dont have one. I truly feel a skimmer is a must have for tanks. I think if you cut back on your feedings do your water changes as suggested above things will turn around for you. Also when you do your water changes dont forget to syphon some of your sandbed.
I think your on the right track!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts