The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Completely off subject, but this forum has been of great help and there is a great community here that I thought on asking.

I am a proud momma of two little ladies ages 7 and 5. My 7 yrs old is neurodivergent (she is in the autistic spectrum) and has some learning disabilities.

Anyone here is a parent of a neurodivergent kid? I would love to hear about you and any educational materials to use online to boost our kids' skills. Husband and I are very into nature, we take our girls for hikes, and to go out and observe birds, and take them to natural history museums and all of that so both of little ones are excellent in those topics, but my MaryAnn is just struggling right now with math because the pandemic literally crushed her beginning of elementary school and let's be honest, I am not the best teacher and hubby either :( .

We use resources such as Khan Academy or StudyPug, but I am always looking for more ways to help my kiddos and it would be awesome to hear from other parents of children in the spectrum.

Thanks in advance
-Erin

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
Hi Erin, Dave's wife here, Jen
Let me start off with that is awesome that you all enjoy nature so much ! A lot of homeschoolers think kids only learn from books or online programs but kids learn from everything in their environment. Almost every homeschool momma and poppa question themselves or doubt in their ability to teach their kids but who taught that kid to eat with a spoon or how to take that first step and then walk or get dressed or brush their teeth or be polite to people, IT WAS YOU !!! You got this !!!
We've been homeschooling our son for 6 years now ( by brick and mortar standards, he's in 10th grade ). We create our own lessons and don't follow an online program however there are so many educational options out there. Unfortunately, its a trial and error until you find the one that works best for you AND your kids. A friend of ours has 5 children and 3 are on the spectrum. She uses different materials for each kid depending on what works best for that particular kid. Khan Academy is a wonderful site; youtube has tons of videos explaining it, there's an app on your phone called PhotoMath that breaks down problems, step by step; playing board games; Cool Math was a huge help; IXL (we loved this one-lots of help); ABC Mouse ( grandkids love this one!); Mathmateer- son said he highly recommends this one, have to pay for this one but it was under $5. Also Walmart, BAM, 5 Below all have wonderful schooling sections, we used a lot of workbooks over the years and starting up again with our granddaughters (Pre-K, K, 1st gr) !!
It also depends on which state you live in and that state's mandates for homeschooling; for instants, New Jersey is a green state so that means we can teach our kids whatever we want, use any sources, follow our own schedule as far as time length, wether its a strict schedule of, just say, mon-fri 9-2 or tues, wed, fri, year round, or in our case this year honestly we haven't done much 'book learning' since Sept however he's learned how to change a tire, change the oil in the van, groom our dogs, do the laundry, gained his marksmanship award for rifle, cook more than mac and cheese (haha), write out grocery shopping lists, balance our checkbook and work out a budget.
If you have some freedom in your state, you can use online educational games and sites to help with Math. There are a ton of free games online. If your state is a little strict, she can always use those games for practice to help with her understanding and gain confidence in her math abilities.
I truly hope this has helped in some way!! Remember, you got this ! Take your time with lessons and/or games.

As soon as I saw this Erin I turned you over to the Mrs. Were proud home schoolers, and Jen has the 'feel' of the home school community......If you would like to chat with Jen further, please PM me, and I'll get you in touch with Her.
All the best,
Hack

·
Administrator
47,668 Posts
Hi Erin, Welcome to TRT, My daughter who has an autistic high schooler and a younger boy who is close but more behavior disorder, has been lucky that the older one was diagnosed early on and does OK in structured classes. Living in Oregon we have been lucky to be in one of the good districts that support special needs, but wit the planedemic and remote learning it seems that schooling has taken a back seat. Am not familiar with the materials that Jen suggested but kids are like puppies, esp challenging ones, you get so much more out of them than you put in.
Good luck with your homeschooling, btw daughter is Eryn as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I have no kids, but I have two younger siblings. And yes, sometimes my parents have really hard times with them. Now everything is better, but at the beginning, during the first lockdown, it was so hard for everyone

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Erin, Dave's wife here, Jen
Let me start off with that is awesome that you all enjoy nature so much ! A lot of homeschoolers think kids only learn from books or online programs but kids learn from everything in their environment. Almost every homeschool momma and poppa question themselves or doubt in their ability to teach their kids but who taught that kid to eat with a spoon or how to take that first step and then walk or get dressed or brush their teeth or be polite to people, IT WAS YOU !!! You got this !!!
We've been homeschooling our son for 6 years now ( by brick and mortar standards, he's in 10th grade ). We create our own lessons and don't follow an online program however there are so many educational options out there. Unfortunately, its a trial and error until you find the one that works best for you AND your kids. A friend of ours has 5 children and 3 are on the spectrum. She uses different materials for each kid depending on what works best for that particular kid. Khan Academy is a wonderful site; youtube has tons of videos explaining it, there's an app on your phone called PhotoMath that breaks down problems, step by step; playing board games; Cool Math was a huge help; IXL (we loved this one-lots of help); ABC Mouse ( grandkids love this one!); Mathmateer- son said he highly recommends this one, have to pay for this one but it was under $5. Also Walmart, BAM, 5 Below all have wonderful schooling sections, we used a lot of workbooks over the years and starting up again with our granddaughters (Pre-K, K, 1st gr) !!
It also depends on which state you live in and that state's mandates for homeschooling; for instants, New Jersey is a green state so that means we can teach our kids whatever we want, use any sources, follow our own schedule as far as time length, wether its a strict schedule of, just say, mon-fri 9-2 or tues, wed, fri, year round, or in our case this year honestly we haven't done much 'book learning' since Sept however he's learned how to change a tire, change the oil in the van, groom our dogs, do the laundry, gained his marksmanship award for rifle, cook more than mac and cheese (haha), write out grocery shopping lists, balance our checkbook and work out a budget.
If you have some freedom in your state, you can use online educational games and sites to help with Math. There are a ton of free games online. If your state is a little strict, she can always use those games for practice to help with her understanding and gain confidence in her math abilities.
I truly hope this has helped in some way!! Remember, you got this ! Take your time with lessons and/or games.

As soon as I saw this Erin I turned you over to the Mrs. Were proud home schoolers, and Jen has the 'feel' of the home school community......If you would like to chat with Jen further, please PM me, and I'll get you in touch with Her.
All the best,
Hack
OMG thank you so much!!! PhotoMath WOWWW!!! who knew! <3
Honestly thank you for all the resources you have mentioned here. At the moment I am located in the United States since our family has a trip to visit family here in the great state of Texas. But we live in the Maritimes, right now stuck a little bit due the pandemic and the travel requirements.

We are hopefully going to be back home and I know school has been cancelled over there, which I am okay with since I am thinking to just shift my kiddos to homeschooling probably for the next year (at least, let's see how it goes).

So you know what, I probably need to revise all of the requirements from our province.
Thank you so much for your advice and I would love to hear from Mrs. Jen.
Thank you also for your kind words and encouragement <3
- Erin

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
That's what this is all about Erin....folks helping each other.

Any time you need help, just PM me, and I or Jen will find a way to help.
Hack
(Dave)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts