The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/250-W-Watt-20000K-Metal-Halide-Aquarium-Bulb-Lamp-Reef_W0QQitemZ7766264292QQcategoryZ46314QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wanted a used cheap bulb to see what a 14K and 20K would look like on my tank? Hopefully if I decide I like a ccertain "K" that whatever brand I get later is still similiar in color or stick w/ this guys bulbs? :bawling:

The Gov needs to regulate K rating on MFG's bulbs!:eek: :agree:

I actually picked up a 14K and a 20K about $45 for both shipped. I figured I would give them a try to see what they look like. Can't really go wrong for the price I guess. Plus all his feedback looks pretty good.

However, they have no brand name nor does the guy know who makes them.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
110galreef said:
...I wanted a used cheap bulb to see what a 14K and 20K would look like on my tank? Hopefully if I decide I like a ccertain "K" that whatever brand I get later is still similiar in color or stick w/ this guys bulbs?

Any ideas?
I do not know this particular manufacturer of these bubs, I can tell you that there will be a difference in what Company A's 14kK bulbs will look like when compared to Company B's same K bulbs, and to make matters worse, the actual rendition will depend on what ballast you are using to drive it (Icecap seems to be best for general use, but there are a few combo's that work better than others if you want to commit to this set up only).

Consider output for the bulbs in addition to color rendition, that can make the difference between an attractive appearance (but with slow growth) and a thriving system.

HTH

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I considered the slow growth deal due to these maybe not as good of a bulb....I dont' per say plan on constantly using these. But hopefully it will give me a good idea as to coloring.....:rolleyes:

That is why I only bought one 14K and one 20K. I guess I canreport back once I try these out.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my Hong Kong bulbs have arrived!...lets see how the look?:worm:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I almost ordered some of these, but just didn't know. I e-mailed seller, and he said his supplier wouldn't give him a manufacture co. name, so he couldn't go around them to get the bulbs cheaper. Let us know how they do. Pics would be great!
Thanks,
Bobby

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
tat2d said:
I almost ordered some of these, but just didn't know. I e-mailed seller, and he said his supplier wouldn't give him a manufacture co. name, so he couldn't go around them to get the bulbs cheaper. Let us know how they do. Pics would be great!
Thanks,
Bobby
They should be able to supply a specs sheet regardless unless there is something funny going on...

a spec sheet would be very beneficial...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Remember when buying used bulbs...the color can appear different as they bulb ages.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
I ordered one of these ("plus" brand) in 10kK for a back up (since I didn't want to buy another $60 bulb at the time). I figured it will keep stuff alive for a week while another XM bulb was being shipped to me.

Color on the cheap one compared to my current XM is pretty yellow and has a fake looking quality to it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's what I figured with the color. Too bad. I was really hoping they were decent. OH well. Still like to see some pics. Maybe next to a name brand of the same spectrum........
Peace,
B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts