The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after several months of getting ready to pull the trigger, I think I finally get to jump. I'm only upgrading from a 20 to a 46, so not quite as sexy as Gregs, but bare with me.

Here is my plan, please critique as you see fit.

Tank: 46 bow, drilled in back for 1" drain x 2, for both the CLS and main.

Lights: All in a custom hood. I didn't have a camera for construction, but if anyone needs to build a BF hood, I've got an easy way to do it.
1 x 250wt Radium
1 x 175wt 12K
110wt pc 03

Sump: Reef Mania - finalizing the plan with Greg

Skimmer: TF1000. Currently using a Rio 2100, will upgrade to OR2700 and MJ600.

Main Return: Mag7 into a spray bar behind the rockwork. I will have approximately 5' of head. Any suggestions on how many and how big the holes should be?

CLS Pump: OR 6500, approx 1600gph. I have decided not to go with the scwd as I want to keep SPS and want the added flow.

Ca Reactor: Coral Hound Dual Chamber - Bought from BB

Top Off: ? Possibly a Kent Float in the sump? Any ideas?

I have pieces of 4" x 3/4" pvc cut to set an egg crate shelf on to raise my rockwork a little and to maximize flow. The longer I sit and stare at my DSB, I wonder if I should put a thin, just enough to cover the eggcrate approx 1.5", layer of the reef grade sand in the tank.

Other than heaters, do you see anything that I've missed?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Chad,

looks good so far...

As far as the spraybar, I do it real high tech.....trial and error...I would space them about 1 1/2" apart from each other and hole size of 1/4"...it all depends on the velocity you want the water at exiting the spraybar.

I would agree with David also about the Kalk. We both have noticed a marked improvement in coral growth and coloration with Kalk in addition to a CA reactor. It does not have to be fancy either. Just a plastic tub to mix up some water...then add a slow drip at night..expect the drip to slow somewhat during the course of the night... A Kalk reactor is easier but they both accomplish the same thing...

I will talk to you about topoff when I get the sump final design back to you..

And every tank can be a "gem", it doesn't have to be large...

Greg

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Chad, the only thing I would recommend is a different return pump. Mags tend to have restarting issues (at least mine does, and from what others I've talked to have stated). Do you plan on running it externally or in the sump?

Also agree with Greg that prolly 1/4" outputs would work the best. Don't know how you plan to design you return, but 3 on an end or 3-4 along the back should work well. Keep the tubing the same size as the pump outlet until it's Teed off. The smaler the outputs to the spraybar, the more head pressure and less flow.

Kalk is a "must" as well for top off. Greg'll be able to find a spot for a float valve for ya! :)

HTH,
Derek

Care to email me the plans for your hood.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THe outlet on the Mag is 1/2". I was intending to come off the pump into 3/4" all the way up to include the spraybar.

As for the hood,
I'm trying to track down a digital camera to take a couple pics of the hood and am getting creative with mspaint to describe the rest. Once I get a good explanation, one that I can understand when read, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We finished to transfer at 0500 this morning. Thus far everything seems to be doing great. Will post pics when friend sends them to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.