The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So I've recently been dealing with an algae problem, red slime. It has began to spread to my live rock now after it has covered my whole sand bed. I can take my hand and swirl the sand and break it up, but over night it comes back. So I went to my LFS, and the guy there recommended Chemi-Clean Red Slime Remover. Now yes I've read all the negative reviews, but can it really be THAT bad?! I mean a simple antibiotic taking out complete tanks? I think if the instructions are closely and accurately followed, it should do it's intended purposes, right? I plan on doing a 25% WC by sucking as much red slime as I can, dose that night after WC, wait 48 hours and do another WC to remove the chemical.

So I was wondering, does anyone have any additional information I should know or experiences with this that they feel like sharing?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Chemiclean is potassium permanganate. It's not an antibiotic, is an oxider and disinfectant. I used it a long while ago and it worked with no harm. Just make sure to run a big airstone or two to keep the water oxygenated. It's super-important.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Instead of an airstone I took the cup off my skimmer and just let it overflow in the sump. Your skimmer will go crazy for a while after you use it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts