The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted this on sites geared more toward home repair with no luck. My outdoor deep well with submersible pump is acting up and need some info. Pressure seems to be very high and doesn't drop even when I open the overflow and release water. Also even with the spickett turned off water still comes out of the hose non stop. It has a 200 psi gage that is maxed out. Maybe it's broken cause even if I pull the power plug the needle doesn't move. Just trying to see if it could be something else before replacing the gage.

·
11,345 Posts
Im not sure but i DO know you should be happy if its just your gauge or something up above thats broken........doesnt really sound like like a gauge to me but ??????......i just had to spend $3400 on a new pump for my well about a month ago. OUCH

·
Administrator
46,890 Posts
Possibly a stuck guage combined with a bad pressure liiting switch, you need to run it and see if the pressure switch cycles the pump off and on fo r starters

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can hear the pump kick on and off as it always has. But water still pours out the hose some even when the thing is turned off. We just replaced all of the equipment and piping to the well 5 years ago.

·
Administrator
46,890 Posts
sounds like a controller or associated valve issue, at least its not a pump failure

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I was tagging along for the education.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So where would you begin trouble shooting? The gage?

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
The gage seems to be working. You have super high pressure and the gage is consistent. There will be some sort of sensor though that should be tripping at whatever you have it designed for (50 to 80 lbs maybe) and sending the signal to your controller..

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But wouldn't the gage drop if I let the water run for a really long time? Which I did but the gage never dropped.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
Does the gage read the outlet of the pump, or is it downstream after a valve. Can you turn the pump off and let the system bleed down and see if the gage goes down as well?

You might have to open a lot of faucets up and it will take a while. The reason I do not suspect the gage is that you have corresponding high water pressure and unless there is a pressure transducer built in that sends a signal elsewhere it is just doing it's job.

·
Administrator
46,890 Posts
You should have some kind of pump controller that sets the kickin point (low side) and the cutoff point(hi side) It should be adjustable. Like Perry said turn off power to the pump, bleed the line of pressure, watch the gauge it should fall when the water in the line leaks out. If it stays up at 200 psig then the guage is prolly defective, normally you should be able to see the pressure rise and fall on the gauge as the system cycles itself in normal use

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll post some pics during the day and show you what I have. I know there is a box with a lot of wires and such, ants got in it and tripped this thing once and the well shut off. The gage is on a metal pipe just before the pvc and the water spickett. I have never had to do anything to my well so I don't know where I would adjust anything.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
Pictures are great Jena...worked last summer with multiple wells on the golf course and know a wee bit. The more pics you can take the more Doug and I and the other folks can help you. Try and get pics of the controller and valves and the gage.

This should be pretty simple to diagnose.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
I have only worked on systems that were WAY bigger. That tiny box above the gage in my opinion is the culprit or the wiring from it to your pump controller.

Did you try to turn off the pump and bleed the system down?

Let's rule out the gage first then check out the wiring to the controller which seems not to be a factor as well. This gets down to the wiring and the controller box.

At least your pump is fine...it is just running too long and will put out 200 lbs all day if not told to shut down. The controller will also tell the pump to run unless it is given false information.

This will be cheap to fix relatively.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I pull the plug and turn on the faucet and let the water run until no water comes out It doesn't take but about 5 minutes. The gage only goes down slightly but still way over the 200 mark. If I remember correctly water resevoir(I think what they called it was 120 feet deep) They used 65 feet of piping. I thought maybe the resevoir was just really full since we didn't use the well for a while so I ran water for hours to lower the level. This did nothing for to drop the pressure of the pump. I have a friend who is an electrician I can get to come look at the switch. I don't mess with electicity! In order to remove the gage I am assuming all I have to do is pull the power plug and drain the water from the line? This I can do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts