The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about two weeks, I've been getting these pop-up windows on my desktop. It doesn't matter if explorer is running - they keep poppup up regardless (I have cable modem - always connected). For the last two days, it seems I can't be on the pc for more than 15 minutes without one of these.

The blue bar across the top says "Messenger Service", and the text usually says something about a security hole, this is an alert, blah blah, but then says stop these popups, and refers to a website called ENDADS.COM or BYEBYEADS.COM. There's an ok button, but rather than taking a risk, I always hit the X to close the window.

I'm running the lastest version of Guard IE, which has sucessfully stopped all normal internet pop-up ads, and I'm using the firewall feature on PC-Cillin 2003 antivirus.

The only thing I've added recently is AOL Instant Messenger. Could this be a "feature" of putting anything AOL on my PC?

Help me get rid of these before I start closing these popups with a hammer.

thanks
JJ

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks-

I used to have ad-aware, and upgraded today to something that is supposedly better called Spybot Search&Destroy.

It didn't find anything, so I don't know if its really better.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Go to start --> run and type msconfig. On the services tab, uncheck Messenger. This will keep messenger services from running at startup. Add Aware is also a good suggestion, although I find that it misses a lot of the software. I prefer using Spybot Search and Destroy.

Andrew

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all,

I finally found where it was in windows, and disabled that feature. Thanks Bill Gates, for another great feature in your new XP product.

I don't want to be hacked, and I don't like popups...
So I'm currently using PC-Cillin for virus checker and firewall features. I'm using Guard IE for elimination of popups, as well as preventing unwanted scripts from running on my machine. And as of today, I'm using Spybot Search and Destroy. How's that for playing it safe?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts