The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up just now in the middle of the night and flipped on a light in the house. I looked over at my tank and noticed this slender white fish (I think) darting rapidly around the tank. I had to have a closer look. I tried to snap a digital photo, but he was too fast. This was definitely not a shrimp, maybe a worm, but I have never imagined a worm swimming like this. The best I can do is describe him. It was a little less than half an inch long. The body was tapered a little to a slightly pointed tail. The head was somewhat fatter than the body and appeared very light blue in color. To add a comical note to it, he looked like a giant sperm swimming through the water - haha. It was very fast and flexible as it swam. I really don't have a clue what this could be. Hopefully nothing harmful.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
I saw the same thing in my tank last night, except mine was white in color. Once he stopped, I grabbed my magnifying lens and took a look. Mine was a worm, segmented body, with tons of feelers running down his sides, which would account for his speed. Pretty cool to look at. Maybe it is the same thing you have.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Do you have any sea cucumbers?

The reason I ask is because, there's a type of fish (and the name escapes me now) that is similar to what you're describing, that actually lives inside seacucumbers. It essentially inserts itself into the "hind end" of the seacucumber with that sharp tail, and then often comes out at night. I found this out because I had, or have, one also, although I haven't seen it in a long while.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I don't have any sea cucumbers in my tank. I have seen this only once. I looked several times last night, but after I turned the lights out the first time I haven't seen him since. It was really cool to find something new like that in my tank. That is, as long as he is harmless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.