The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im pretty new to salwater reef aquariums to start. my question is about my sebae anemone. its mouth seems to be open more in the last week more so than in the last month. the mouth is dialated to about the sice of a number two pencile give or take. ive herd that this is not a good sign. i have an anemone crab living with it right now also.. it is very white with blue tips and all his fingers seem to be intact. he has seated in the tank fine from the get go but i havent seen him eat much... as for my tank, all is running very well and i have had no problems with anything thus far. i have had the tank running for aprox 2-3 months and i bought it from someone that had glass anemone invasion that had it running for aprox three years. i did most all the right stuff to rid them and have not seen them since... any way i guess any info would help. please and thank you.. b-o-b-s.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well looking at it the mouth is about double the size of a #2 pencil

· Registered
715 Posts
Unfortunately a bleached (( white )) H. crispa is more common than a healthy tan one. Their track record is suspect at best, but it can be done.

What size tank?
What lights do you have?
What are your current water parameters -- with numbers please.
What all do you have in the tank, livestock wise.
What do you have for filtration?

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
-30 high, cora life 130w deluxe twin,
-70 gal aquaclear hang on.
76-78 degrees
-40lbs "live rock"
-80lbs sand/coral
- kenya tree x2, lps x2, small polyup col x3, xenia, metallic green star polyups, hairy, blue, red, and green mushrooms,
- yellow tang, anthias, purple fire goby, african cleaner wrase, pair oci clowns, lawn mower blenny, sebae anemone.
-20ish turbo snails, 20ish blue leg hermits, green crab, anemone crab, purple spiney lobster,

ammonia is 0 ppm
nitrat is 2.0-0 ppm
ph is 8.2-8.4
sp gravite is .021
salinity is 28.5 ish
and ive been adding reg reef starter chems and additives

· Registered
715 Posts
Salinity should be 35.
2 65 watt PCs isn't going to be enough light for an H. crispa
Tank is too small for any tang.
20 turbo snails is a lot for a 30 gallon tank, keep an eye on them -- for starving to death.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay so prolly not gonna pan out huh? i'll post some pics as soon as i can.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how can i get my salinity up with out raising the ph and any adice on my set up would be great, like i said im pretty new to this...

· Registered
715 Posts
Yep, it is bleached. The tentacles are shorter than they should be, but not as bad as some of the ones that I have seen.

To make a long term go of this, going to need to increase your lighting. Would remove some of your fish -- the tang isn't going to work long term, same with the cleaner wrasse and the anthias. Lastly bump your salinity/SG up to 35/1.026.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok well as far as long term i do plan on starting another tank in a year or so prolly 75 or larger... do you think the fishwill last at least that long and are they bad for the nem..? and as by increasing my lighting do you suggeset a diff light unit or longer run time? is the only way to up salinity to keep adding salt water?

· Registered
715 Posts
What are the dimensions of your tank? No, leaving the lights on longer won't change things -- a bad analogy, leaving a candle to burning longer won't make it any easier to read by.

For the salinity, if you do weekly water changes (( say 5 gallons or so )) I would use 35/1.026, shouldn't take too long to bring it up.

The more fish (( and that tang will grow quickly and become more aggressive )) the more food, the more waste, the worse the water parameter. For an already stressed anemone that won't help.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When i get home ill measure the tank.. and thanks for the input im gonna mix some water tonight to change it tomorrow. im thinking my clouded canopy isnt helping the light issue eithr so im gonna get a fresh piece of glass cut this week or next.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.