The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do antic lights do for corals/ a reef tank? just really want to know if it is needed for corals/ anemones at all.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
I believe you meant actinic. Actinic lights are blue and i dont believe they are NEEDED but they take away the white/yellow color of the other lights. They also make certain colors glow very brightly, like my green mushrooms.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O ok well I dont realy mind the yellow color so ok thanks.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
There is some beneficial spectrum of actinic lighting. It is generally present in other lighting spectrums (bulbs and types), but often time people prefer a 14-20k bulb and chose not to run them or they chose a lower K rating and deal with the washout of many colors due to the yellow peaks. Personally I like them and I like using them to complete a sunrise to sunset situation.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well if it does nothing for coral than I can change the light so i can put more types of corals in the tank. and bring my wattage up to 108w

·
REEFer In Progress
1,423 Posts
Wether its actinic or daylight, it should still be the same wattage. You may just not get the same PAR with actinics. As hop said, having to much daylight/white light can wash out your corals color. But in retrospect, your corals may grow quicker with the daylight bulbs. I personally like the look of a mixture of actinic and daylight bulbs...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well man this lighting thing is a pain I try getting better bulbs for the tank and well to me it does not mater if 6,700K light or a 18,000K light but the corals do but I want to keep an anemone but I thaught that I could get a higher K light and it would be good for anemones and corals but I'm now getting told that it's the wattage of the light. will someone enplane things out for me.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
the wattage is important but it will be the same no matter what kelvin you are using
wattage refers to the amount of electricity your using
kelvin refers to the type or spectrum the bulb is putting out

what kind of fixture do you have and what are you trying to keep?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have one dubble bulb T5 fixture. and I want to keep anemones and some corals other than mushrooms

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
sorry i forgot to ask what size your tank is?
is it a t5 HO?

but i think in general most corals and anemones will need more light than a 2 bulb t5HO if i was you and i was going to try it i would probably run a 10000k and a 6700k ...but it will look kind of yellow

thats just my opinion hopefully someone will jump in and correct me if im wrong

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I would agree that a 2 bulb setup is going to be too little light for a nem in a 55. I think a 4 bulb setup w/ a good parabolic reflector would be probably be sufficient for a nem, not great but sufficient. A 6 bulb would be better if it would fit over a 55.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya I have a 55g show tank so it wont hold 3 T5 HO lights well I have a 18,000K 54W and a 6,700K 54W lights but I'm running a 18,000K 54W and an antic 24W on it now.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
For a 55, one of the 4 bulb units would be a perfect match and fit very well;)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it's only 2 feet deep so is that still enough light?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
It should be 18" deep and yup, a 4 bulb is about as much as your going to be able to squeeze over it unless you make a custom hood.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ya sorry 18'' thats right ok so would I use 2 antic and 2 18,000K lights or all 18,000K lights?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dv3 do you have any tank pic's? so your saying that 2 actinic and 2 18,000L is good for the anemones?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts