The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an anthias in my tank (pseudanthias randalli) and it requires a frequent/lot of food. I have had it for a few months (since feb) and even though it seems to be doing ok (not looking gaunt/thin), it doesnt necessarily look as fat as it should in my opinion. Care instructions say they need to eat at least three times a day. Since I have been feeding two to three times a day with one cube formula one, my tank is starting to really have a hair algae problem. I was reading a thread recently that said some people feed every other day or three days. I think I could get away with that with my current fish but except for this anthias. What do you guys think? Will it be ok with feeding three to four days a week, or should I try to find it another home with someone with other high-food-need fish?

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67538 see this thread for a pic.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
using prepared foods will add extra nutrients to the tank. The prepared foods (frozen have more than what is in the actual food. The water the food is frozen in can contain high levels of phosphates. I started making blender mush and freezing it in ro/di water. Go to the fish counter at the grocery store and get some scraps. Add some nori and garlic, blend and freeze!
Also if you can, skim wet and direct more flow to the bottom part of the tank. Thsi will help keep the uneaten food suspended so the skimmer has a chance to grab it and do its thing!

Robert

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have two Bartletts Anthias one diamond watchman goby, 1 neon goby, 1 rainford goby, and 1 dragonface pipefish. And I only feed half a cube of mysis a day. And I have had my anthias for 8 months now.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I also would strain out the mysis from what holds it together when frozen to help remove any unwanted phosphates.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I find that foods with the "gel binder" are more apt to raise phosphates.

Try some cyclopeeze, frozen mysis, frozen plankton... the brands like San Francisco that don't have the gel stuff in them.

I have 2 bartletts in my 120 (I had more but I think my BTA ate some!) and they eat every other day, a mix of frozen foods. Been feeding them every other day for over a year now.

HTH

Jenn

·
Enabler of husky fish
81 Posts
all anthias should be fed multiple times everyday with small meals....if your waste removal system cannot handle the extra feeding find him a proper home - imo
....they constantly eat plankton from water column 24/7 in the sea

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am with eagles. I dont want to underfeed him. I will see if I can find someone who has a setup more geared towards this fish. but I will also try the other feeding suggestions!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts