The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to the reef seen so im not to sure about corals but i got a piece of Anthelia from a local fish store because they said it was easy to care for
and hardy but im reading it hard to care for. any help

· Quo vadis, Domini.
564 Posts
These are "waving hand" anthelia :

They don't do well if you expose them to air while transferring them to your tank (IME). If you're successful in transplanting them be sure and keep them on a rock by themselves. I had one polyp survive and now have a 10 gallon frag tank full of them. :eek: I prune them regularly in the display tank by pulling the stems / heads off with a pair of forceps but they've usually recovered and grown new heads within a week or two.

· Registered
8,356 Posts
Keeping Anthelia can be as easy as keeping Xenia. The one thing I have noticed is that it likes to have some intermittent strong flow that will blow it all around. Might have something to do with the fact that Anthelia doesn't pulse like Xenia.

I had a small colony that ended up covering about half of the back glass in my old 75g tank. Make sure you give it some room to grow and watch for the fragments that it will send all over the tank

· little crazy
1,360 Posts
Anthelia ???

I have read that they are hard to care for but generally everyone i speak with says no its easy and it grows like a weed. But i am not one of the fortunate ones that it just grows for. in facts mine is melting down. first three days it was happy and then just progressively worse. i have given it a pulsing flow did a water change dose with strontium/melybedum, iodide, reef essentails, oyster feast and marine snow. everything else is as happy as can be(zoos, polyps, mushroom, yellow pagoda, kenya tree, fish and feather dusters.)also not alot but brown or tan spots on it. somebuddy any clue.

my parameters.
30 g
130 w 50/50 compact

ph 8.3
am 0
nitrates 0
temp 80
calcium 475
mag 1300
dkh 13
just did a water change 10%

· little crazy
1,360 Posts
so week and a half ago anthealia officially dead and just wanted the left overs removed so i cleaned up the rock it was attached to and went on with my business. 3 days ago fathers day went to the LPS and they had a deal on frags so i picked up some zoos, candycane, star polyps, mushrooms and decided to try xenia. the xenia is mid tank high intermitant flow and happy so far. but the interesting thing is that when placing the zoo there was one small polyp of anthelia coming back not getting to excited but we will see how it turns out.

· little crazy
1,360 Posts
single piece of anthelia still alive growing but rather slow all tank parameters are good i don't completely understand how the whole colony crashed but now one little piece is growing but i don't care just so long as it keeps growing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.