The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Southdown is not available in my area. Therefore I was wondering....
I know about the vinegar test on the sand, but that proves that the sand is calcium based. Is sand that is not calcium based always silica? In other words are there only 2 types of sand, calcium and silica? I found some sand that doesn't fizz, but the guy that sells it tells me its silica free. I dont know if there is a way to test it for silica but if someone knows, or can help id appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
There are silica test kits available. I'd suggest taking some of the sand and putting it in a bucket. Let it sit in ater for a week or two, then test the water.

I have silica sand in one of my FOWLR's and the diatom blooms really make the tank look nasty. Unfortunately it's an Undulate Trigger that calls the tank home, so there isn't the option of having snails to clean up the mess.... :-/

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the guy that is selling it told me it was from the coast. He said its in dunes. He collects it and brings it back to his place. The sand is nice and fluffy. I actually did buy a bag and put it in one of my tanks. It cleared up in less than in hour. Its brown, but the fish and inverts love it. (had a bare bottom). I guess ill just let everyone know how it does. Any more opinions? All welcome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts