The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got this water pump that rated at 1/4hp, it says that it can be used in all water applications, and the bolts are stainless so no rust, and it says that the motor is sealed so no worries about water getting in there, i know that the main factor is heat, but if that wasnt a factor would it work on a 120gallon with a 20 gallon sump? the pump itself isnt huge, its about the size of the mag 18, so i dont think it has much more potential then that, is there anything wrong with using this....?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
do you have a manufacturer and model number for the pump? 1/4HP really means little. it could be a low flow high head pressure pump, or it could be a low pressure high flow pump. we really need to get a flow curve for this pump before we can really help you out. :(

G~

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok guys, i fired it up in the bathroom, and boy did i make a mess, lets just say dont look up, anyway the pump is called water ace model number R2SA it actually says submersible sump pump...i hope thats enough info

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh and its says its 25gallons per minute at 10ft....dont know what the 10 foot part means....

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so is it good to use, im sure i could, just running it by you guys...

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bump.............

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bump one last time.....................................

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so will this work for a return pump on a 120gallon with 20gallon sump?

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
i think that would be too strong of a pump unless you have huge drains, or alot of them in order to keep up with this pump. Another option would be to split the flow of the pump through other things like a refugium (if you are planning on seting one up) or a chiller, or anything like that.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i actually have huge overflows with (2) 2inch drains....but will the actual pump be ok since im using it for saltwater?

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Well with 2 inch drains you should be ok as far as water flow, but remember that with that much flow going through the sump you might also have microbuble issues. As far as using the pump, I would be weary of using it if any of the metal actually comes on contact with the saltwater.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it says its corrosion resistant, the neat part about it is that it has a float switch, so if for whatever reason you lose the water in your tank, like if you go on vacation for a while and you get lots of evap then the pump will shut itself off, but im actually worried about the internals rather then the actual body, im guessing the internals will be fine?

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
thats a nice feature, but I would look into the manufacturer to make sure that saltwater wont corrode it. heres the link to the manufacturer .... i think .... http://www.waterace.com/sump_1.html
I think they are designed mainly for drainage. But being corrosian resitant doesnt mean corrosion proof. I would try to get in touch with them and see what the insides of this unit is made of

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i will be sure to talk to them, thanx for the link

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
1760gal per hr may be a little too much for your overflow to handle. If the pump is ok to go in saltwater you need to open up the flow to keep up with it, the 20 gal sump may be too small also. Are you planing on using in submerged in the sump?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
that pump is way to big for a 20g sump. even if you put eductors on the outlets to lessen the flow from the pump, i would be worried that the sump would overflow if the power ever went out. that much water moving would require a hight sump level and that leads to a high volume above drain minimum.

that also sounds like a sump pump. most sump pumps are not rated for continuous use. they tend to get hot also, so you may run into cooling problems.

G~

1 - 20 of 20 Posts