The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Nano junkie
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :wavey:

I'm setting up a 12g nano reef tank and I had a question (big surprise huh :))

anywhooo,, my question is about cycling the tank, is there a guide out there that could tell me the rules of this procedure?

I want to do everything very slowly and take my time with this setup,
but it would be nice to know how to do it the right way.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I dont have that particular model but it will do find for a "few crabs and corals". But, how many (and what kind) are a "few"?

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
I have the 24g JBJ nano cube and have been really happy with it overall it's been set up over 3 years

·
Registered
839 Posts
Welcome to TRT

I want to do everything very slowly and take my time with this setup,
but it would be nice to know how to do it the right way.
This is the best decision you will ever make in reefing

I hope it's okay for a few corals and a couple of crabs :confused:
Might I reccomend reading around through the Nano Build-off you will get a heap of ideas and many of your questions may be anwsered.

Have fun with your new tank and don't be afriad to ask questions, there is a wealth of knowlage here on TRT.

·
Nano junkie
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont have that particular model but it will do find for a "few crabs and corals". But, how many (and what kind) are a "few"?
Hi OneDummHikk,
I'm not sure about what kind of corals yet I still need to do some reading, but I know I don't want a heavy load in this small tank, so maybe a cleaner shrimp and two hermits, not sure if I want or can have any fish yet.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Hi OneDummHikk,
I'm not sure about what kind of corals yet I still need to do some reading, but I know I don't want a heavy load in this small tank, so maybe a cleaner shrimp and two hermits, not sure if I want or can have any fish yet.
You said the tank would be here Tuesday? If so, I wouldn't add any fish to it at all (corals either) until at least July 1. Give it that long to go through the cycle process, possibly longer. After that, start with the cleaners. You can have one, possibly two (depending on the fish) in a 12G tank. I have a 12G nano (not a JBJ though) and added too much too fast (It is all dobejazz's fault - she didn't stop me) and it nuked my tank friday night. This time, there won't be anything live in it until July at the earliest.

As you said, go slow, be patient, and enjoy the tank.

·
Nano junkie
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You said the tank would be here Tuesday? If so, I wouldn't add any fish to it at all (corals either) until at least July 1. Give it that long to go through the cycle process, possibly longer. After that, start with the cleaners. You can have one, possibly two (depending on the fish) in a 12G tank. I have a 12G nano (not a JBJ though) and added too much too fast (It is all dobejazz's fault - she didn't stop me) and it nuked my tank friday night. This time, there won't be anything live in it until July at the earliest.

As you said, go slow, be patient, and enjoy the tank.
Thats purty much my plan :agree:, let the tank cycle for 6 weeks or so then start with a cleaner crew and go from there.

:eek: what do you mean by "nuked" ?

·
Nano junkie
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, went to the LFS (not so local)today and picked up salt, a test kit and a hydrometer, also got some live sand.
is there anything I'm missing?

also the guy at the shop told me that I only needed a Nitrite kit and he talked me out of the Master Kit. He said that I would probably not even get an ammonia spike,,, can this be right?
I'm not sure what to think now.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
Okay, went to the LFS (not so local)today and picked up salt, a test kit and a hydrometer, also got some live sand.
is there anything I'm missing?

also the guy at the shop told me that I only needed a Nitrite kit and he talked me out of the Master Kit. He said that I would probably not even get an ammonia spike,,, can this be right?
I'm not sure what to think now.
:doh: Nah you are pretty much gonna need the master kit and then some. Here are the tests you need to get you through the cycle. Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. after the cycle is up you will want ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, alk, ca, mag and anything else you wanna test for. I'm not trying to bash on anyone but it seems to me that the guy at the LFS is a bonehead. I work at an lfs also here in redmond, or and we have to convince people that they will need the whole kit. I don't understand what's going on with store owners nowadays.

·
Nano junkie
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's funny because I had the Master kit ($54.99)in my hand and he ("the bonehead")came right over to me and told me I didn't need it and sold me just a Nitrite test($7.99)

darn it, I new I should have just got the Master kit:doh:
but the thought of saving over forty bucks got the best of me. well, it's too far for me to drive back anytime soon so I'll just have to start the cycle without it, Maybe I'll order one online:idea:

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Thats purty much my plan :agree:, let the tank cycle for 6 weeks or so then start with a cleaner crew and go from there.

:eek: what do you mean by "nuked" ?
I had a clownfish die in the tank and it was in the tank for almost 36 hours before I got it out. It was a disaster. It killed a lot of what was in the tank. Zooanthids, Button polyps, some other things. The only thing good that came out of it was that it killed every bristleworm in the tank.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts