The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I had a question out there before...

I do not have the money to spend on the Tunze's I would like to have, but I would like to have some wavelike action on the my 125 (note: I have a Mag 9.5 as a return which flows from each corner with a Y and basically keeps the top of the water moving).

So...here is what I am wondering:

Should I get:
1. 4 Maxi 1200's with a wavemaker (like a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro)
2. 4 Maxi 1200's with the SureFlow mods (no wavemaker)
3. 4 Koralia 4's (no wavemaker)

or...please make some suggestions...remember I would only like to spend about $200 or s little more...so Tunze's and Vortex are out, unfortunately :(

Thanks all!

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
I have been happy with my koralia's. I would go that route. I asked almost the exact same question about the maxi jets and I didn't get very positivie feedback about them on a wavemaker. They seem to burn up fairly quickly on a wavemaker from what I have heard.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regular Maxi's (no mods)? I thought they were good to go on a wavemaker? I heard they burn out if they are modded and put on a wavemaker...

I had the koralia's before...they are nice and quiet...but they don't give the wave motion :( and can't be put on a wavemaker (can they?)

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
Regular Maxi's (no mods)? I thought they were good to go on a wavemaker? I heard they burn out if they are modded and put on a wavemaker...

I had the koralia's before...they are nice and quiet...but they don't give the wave motion :( and can't be put on a wavemaker (can they?)
Your right, the bad I have heard is about the modded MJ. I have heard but haven't tried it, but the koralia's might be able to be put on a seio controller because it doesn't completely shut the power head off, it just throttles it back. But like I said I haven't tried it. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Ok...I had a question out there before...

I do not have the money to spend on the Tunze's I would like to have, but I would like to have some wavelike action on the my 125 (note: I have a Mag 9.5 as a return which flows from each corner with a Y and basically keeps the top of the water moving).

So...here is what I am wondering:

Should I get:
1. 4 Maxi 1200's with a wavemaker (like a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro)
2. 4 Maxi 1200's with the SureFlow mods (no wavemaker)
3. 4 Koralia 4's (no wavemaker)

or...please make some suggestions...remember I would only like to spend about $200 or s little more...so Tunze's and Vortex are out, unfortunately :(

Thanks all!
If you are going to be buying whatever you end up with, get the Koralia 4's. It leaves the possibility open to put them on a wavemaker eventually. The Maxi's don't do well on a wavemaker (from my reading about them). The K4 is around 1200gph. The MJ Mod is 1600 or 2000 (depending on which prop you use).

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Well, it's hard to say if you really need a wavemaker or not. Like others have said, the maxijets have had someproblems with the propeller starting up in reverse when on a wavemaker. Of course, there are plenty of people who use them without any problems, including myself. I have one in my tank and have turned it off plenty of times. I have never noticed that it turned back on in reverse (though I can see how that could happen). The Koralias are also very good, but they are not designed for use with any wavemanker available. Rumor has it that they will be making a wavemaker for them, but that hasn't happened yet. I really don't have an answer for you, but I also think you would be happy with the flow with either one. They both put out a ton of flow, and positioned right, you would get good random flow patterns.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
The stock Maxijets work great on a wavemaker. The only problem is that you have all 395 gph coming out of a hole about the size of a dime, so it is like having water jets in the system.

The Sureflow mod fixes that problem by giving it wide flow and increased output due to the new propeller assembly.

I really like my Koralias. I can tell you from experience though, that when connected to a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro they can definitely start up in reverse and suck water in through the front. This is definitely something you don't want to happen. I honestly think they would be okay if you had them hooked to a DJ light sequencer where you could control the amount of time they were on for. That way they could get to full speed and stay there for a while which is much better for them. Some of the cycles on the Wavemaster Pro are very short.

I hope that didn't muddy the water too much. ;)

·
HOW MUCH!Ok I will take 2
888 Posts
Did you see the attachment that you can clip on the Korilia's they rotate for more wider flow.....I seen them work in display tank at LFS.
Seemed to cover alot of area.
Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Did you see the attachment that you can clip on the Korilia's they rotate for more wider flow.....I seen them work in display tank at LFS.
Seemed to cover alot of area.
Just a thought.
Hmmm, I haven't seen that yet. The Koralias flow output is in the shape of a V and flows freely through the "fish screen". I do have a couple of pieces left in my box, a little plastic guard and what they call a flow concentrator which is a little nozzle that fits on the front. I didn't put that on as the V flow pattern seemed good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is for my 125 (don't have a nano :) )

I wanted to spend less than $300 for everything. I can get 4 Koralia 4's at MD for $39/ea. No wavemaking potential...but...I am interested in what benzzzz said, I haven't seen what he is talking about. Can someone elaborate?

I could get the MJ's with the sureflow mods (and Magnets for about $60/ea)...

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
It is for my 125 (don't have a nano :) )

I wanted to spend less than $300 for everything. I can get 4 Koralia 4's at MD for $39/ea. No wavemaking potential...but...I am interested in what benzzzz said, I haven't seen what he is talking about. Can someone elaborate?

I could get the MJ's with the sureflow mods (and Magnets for about $60/ea)...
There is a post in GRD about Koralia's possibly being made wave maker friendly. Might want to check that out before deciding.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Grrrr....yeah...now I am in a quandry...I need flow, but I want to wait for the new ones.
Wait for them. The only thing that comes fast in a reef tank is disaster. If it takes 2 months, then it is a well spent 2 months to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts