The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been curing my live rock in my 72 gallon with a skimmer and power head! I tested last night and the ammonia is off the charts, should I do a water change? Also there is a transparent film on some of the rocks what does is it should I remove it.

The 50 or so pounds of live rock were up and going for 3-4 years the guy who owned it took it out of the water so its was out for 3-4 days. How long will I have to wait before I can start adding the contents of my 25 and 5 gallon tanks to it. I am iching to add it but I won't be taking any chances, my 25 gallon is beautiful!!!

CHEERS
:beer:
DERM

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
there was a LOT of die off in that 3-4 days that the stuff was out of water. that's why the ammonia spike.

i've never had to cure rock, so i'm not sure if you should need to do a water change or not at this point, but i know it ceretainly wouldn't hurt. ammonia that high, might kill off some of the still living organisms in the rock, which could be causing even more ammonia.

a 10 or 20% change might be a good idea.

imo, dont add anything from your 25 for at least 6 weeks, or until the cycel is FULLY completed.

good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i would just let it cycle on its own. i would not do a water change until your cycle has finished. leaving the ammonia in there you give the bacteria enough food. it is the same as adding the raw shrimp.

when the cycle is done, then i would do a water change. check your levels again. if they are good then wait a week check them again. if still good then you can add your critters from the other tank. the slower you can add them the better. if at all possible add half the LR first to help in filtration.

my .02,

G~

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh man 6 weeks is a long time!!! The only problem I have is that when I aquired the 72 gallon I also aquired some fish 2 Per clowns which are in the 5 gallon with about 10 pounds of live rock and the full grown tang which is in my 25 gallon!! I know I should be ashamed of myself, but I went to the LFS and they told me that they could look after him, but that it was only going into a 20 gallon anyway!! I think my tank is much better water quailty wise than anything they have in there and plus the fact I know I can look after the tang much better!! Plus the stress of people hitting glass, netting out other fish and other fish!!

CHEERS
:beer:
DERM

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
hold off dermp... i would not add that tang or the percs until the cycle is complete.

i never claim to be an expert anywhere, but imo putting that tang in not-yet-cycled-water is going to do more harm than a few weeks in a 25g tank.

look at many lfs's they have large fish in small tanks temporariliy. i'm not saying this is good for the fish, but it's better than ammonia or nitrite spiked water.

one lfs i visit, has shelfs setup with custom tanks along one wall, for holding "for sale" fish. ALL the tanks are 10"x10"x10" so i would guess in the area of 5 gallons or so. some of those tanks have as many as 40 or 50 percs. some have 3 or 4 tangs. he never mixes breeds in those holding tanks, and the fish could be there from a few days to a few months, till they are sold.

i just really think it would be better than jumping the gun on the 72. remember the apin you had losing all those clowns ? or was that someone else. forgive me if i'm wrong.. now i'm thinking it might have been yoshi.. either way, i'd hate to se you lose the percs and tang when it could be avoided.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Your Tang will be fine in a 25g. You could add the percs and they would be alright for sometime. Don't jump the gun. Be patient and allow those ammonia levels to come down. If you don't you may perpetuate an ich break out, or even worse the fish die from shock. Imagine yourself being put into a 3000 sq ft. room with thick black smoke and asked to endure it for 6 weeks. Now imagine yourself in a 300 sq ft room with clean air and expected to tolerate those conditions for 6 weeks. Which one would you choose? If it's me I take the clean air and the small room.

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya guys your right, I leave things as they are. I would have put the 2 percs in the 25 gallon also, but I have a clarkie with 2 anemones!! He is very, and I mean very protective over the anemones! Back and forth all day long and he is only half the size of one of the percs. He takes 2 of them on at the same time and drives them up to the corner of the tank, and keeps doing it. I was afraid he would end up killing both so I put them in the 5 gallon with water from the 25 gallon and live rock from it. They seem to be very happy breathing is good, and they eat what ever I put in there. Man I can't wait though to get everything in the 72 gallon!! I have about I would guess 80-90 pounds of rock 7 fish, 2 anemones, finger corals, musroom leather, 4 different types of shrooms, green brain coral, button polyps, sun coral thats not doing so good, flower pot coral, sponge, manjanos only 2 and I am keeping a eye on them, snails, hermit crabs, emerald crabs, 3 feather dusters, 2 are very small but on the way! Zoo's that will be sent on monday!!! I think thats it, it should look awsome when I put it all in there!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMO........even when you get the 72 gal up.......you will have problems with introducing the percula's in with the other clown.....conspecifics in the Clown family will almost certainly fight.....maybe if you put in the percula's first.....for a few weeks, then moved the anemone/clarkii, you may be alright......but watch very closely and be ready to move one or the other back out after. They are a bugger to catch once all are together.

Then again I have heard of people that have 3 or 4 different species of clowns together......I have not seen it personally though.

Just MHO

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think once there is more room they might get along better, I think the percs don't have any where to go in the 25 to hide from him, plus when its all done I will put them all in at the same time, hope it works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts