·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
even if the outlets are 1/2" or 3/4"? I think we'll use one inch tubing for the other.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Booboo33062 said:
even if the outlets are 1/2" or 3/4"? I think we'll use one inch tubing for the other.
Your best bet for accurate info on that type of cls is to go to the author himself. You should be able to find a lengthy discussion regarding the manifold over at reef central. If you can't find it there go to the Marinedepot.com forums and ask him.

·
Banned
238 Posts
I have been using the same system for about week. Using a SCWD to alernate the currents between right and left. The pump is rated at about 1250 GPH. So far so good. Granted that it switched a little quicker, but works well. I have 10 outlets but only 5 are working at a time. Since the SCWD doesnt really cut off the water pressure at all, and the pump is rated at about 12 feet of head, I am getting what..........LOL...........about 250 GPH out of each outlet. Which is the equivalent of almost 5 MJ1200 powerheads. I saw it at my LFS on their smaller SPS tank. It's not the highest flow, but seeing as how most of points to the same directions of the tank (with locline every 2 feet or so) means that it is getting bombarded with 1250 GPH anyways. LOL

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
i would recomend not restricting the pipe diameter untill the water reaches each outlet. It will take alot of water to run that manifold. If you restrict the water getting to the manifold then you wont have much in the manifold to feed the outlets regardless of the pump. My CLS has 6 3/4" outlets and is ran by a Sequence Barracuda. The plumbing size should be dictated by the pump you choose, specifically the size of the outlet of the pump housing. use this size through the manifold or at least up to the manifold. If you reduce the diameter of the manifold only do so by a small amount. Then reduce at each outlet. Keep in mind that the smaller the outlet diameter the higher the velocity but the lower the flow.
From past experience I would plan on building at least two of these manifolds, each a different size, and test them out of the tank to see the effects of the different diameters. Not only will this help you get exactly what you need but it will help you understand the dynamics involved! PVC is cheap so get a bunch and experiment.
Also, dont skimp on the pump. This is a big set up and you want to buy one pump. Buy smart to save time, hassle and the cost of several pumps that dont do what you want. the Sequence Reefflo pumps are very quiet, low heat and work awesome!
Also make sure that the intake for the pump is not restricted at all. this will extend the life of the pump, starving apump will kill it. Use true union ball valves on each side of the pump so you can remove it for maintainence or what ever also.HTH!

Robert

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So are you saying to put a larger piece of pvc coming off the pump to the manifold? Like if we are going to use 3/4" pvc for the manifold to use a larger tube going into it? That sounds like a good plan. We just need to get a pump now.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Plumb according to the pump. If the pump exit is 1" then use 1" on the manifold. The reason is that all those outlets will need alot of water to feed them all and reducing the size of the manifold will hurt your flow.
remeber, get a quality pump of good size, I would recomend a good exrternal model, and try a few set ups out of the tank to check the flow characteristics. Sounds like alot of extra work but its less than making one, hooking it up it not working and then having to tear it down and start over. Trust me!

Robert

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are going to run it as a CLS. We are planning on putting the pump on the glass in the middle of the tank on top, or making a shelf on the back of the canopy to set it on. The pumps are more exspensive than I thought, but we were only planning on one. Do I really need one that will put out 300 gph? I was thinking we could put a Mag 9.5 on it.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I would consider a large volume external pump. yes they are expensive comparitively but well worth it. With that many outlets you will need to move a large volume of water in order to see a benifit from it. A small pump wont push enough water through it. if you really want to do it get a good pump!

Robert

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You seem serious about that! :eek: :eek: :eek: :bawling: :agree:

Wow I guess now I'll just have to convince my hubby and get the money together, or rob a bank. Just kidding, but we may have to save for a while. We were just planning to spend $70.00. Where can I get a pump that puts out more than 3000 gph.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Check out the sponsors page. I am serious!!! I have tried to save money on things in the past only to spend more when I have to get a quality piece.
I like the Sequence pumps allthough they use a good amount of electricity. They are VERY quiet and done make much heat. There are lots of good pumps out there. Also check out Gen-X as they are pretty cost effective and fairly quiet. I have both of the above mentioned.

Robert

1 - 13 of 13 Posts