The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
In a nutshell...

Tangs are neurotic and ich prone. They can flip out and die of stress. They require large tanks. But they're beautiful, and sometimes they eat hair algae.

I've never kept angels, but they're gorgeous. Not terribly hardy, and tend to eat corals. Full sized (as in, not dwarf) angels are iffy at best in a reef. Dwarf angels are hit or miss.

I'm sure angel keepers could add more.
Danielle

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
my only experience is with a coral beauty dwarf angle. it's great. schools with my chromis and damsel, which is still odd to me. nips at the algae in the tank.

but i was also warned that it could nip at corals, especially stonies.

it nips at rock often. when i had the button polyps and anenome and anthellia in the tank, it never nipped at any of them though, so i think that's a good sign.

but i have heard of them nipping corals.
ditto on tang.s i keep hearing everywhere that they are prone ot ich, and are even more neurotic than chromis are! i've been tossed about getitng a regal tang, but have decided instead on a powder blue. but it will be quite some time.

also, the coral beauty developed ich when i first got it, but after 3 days of tank temp at 82, and twice daily feedings of fresh garlic, it cleared up and hos not returned, even with the move to the new tank.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i have had a Kole tank for the past 6 years. they are great for controlling diatomic algae, but not for the macros. tangs can be finicky eaters when it comes to algae. they will generally eat the algae you want to keep and ignore the ones you want them to eat. they are prone to ick. they like nori, so feeding them is usually not a problem. some are tough though. the powder blue tangs are notorious for being hard to get to eat.

i have had a Genicanthus melanospilos female for a couple of months now. was very shy in the beginning, but now she comes out and eats flakes and frozen mush. she picks at the rocks. she does not bother the SPS that are in the tank now. these are supposedly reef safe, so far it holds true. these are also large angels not dwarf.

G~

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
mkurgan said:
can tangs and angels live together in the same tank?
both the Kole and Genicanthus are doing fine together. they completely ignore each other. no puffing up or displaying. then again i like peacefull fish. i would not believe i would have the same luck if the Kole was a purple tang.:rolleyes:

G~

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes they can live together. But as Geoff said.. some tangs are more aggressive than others.. like the powder blue and purple tang... the purple tang come from the family zebrasoma and they are for the most part all aggressive from that family. As for the ich problem... this is true they are suceptable. But I haven't had much problem with it.. I believe the reason is because when I get a tang, I try to find one the LFS has had for quite some time. An LFS I used to go to used to quarentine all their fish for at least 2 weeks before they sold them... Of course this will cost you a bit more.. but it's been worth it in my experience. If you have corals.. use caution with angels... I used to have a 220 gal and had a beautiful Imperator... bought as a juevenile and actually managed to get it change into an adult... never bothered any of the things in the tank... then one day I saw him nip something and shiver... when I got closer.. I watched him eat a button polyp and shake like it tasted horrible! but he did it until they were all gone! LOL so be aware just because they don't eat your corals today.. they may tomorrow. One last thought, if you do get an angel and a tang.. recommend adding them last to the tank... also recommend adding them at the same time... if not then make sure you add the smaller one first.. and the next one should be larger and different color. Just my thoughts... hope it helps

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have always kept a yellow tang and a blue (hippo) tang when I had my Fish Only tanks. I intend to get one of each for the new reef as well. I never had a problem with either type other than that they can be really shy. As far as I know they are reef safe. (I think most of the tangs are!) Sailfin & brown tangs are like lawnmowers in the tank. They loooove algae.

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
Hmmm, a Yellow tang and two Hippo's in my reef, no probs,,,
heck i get the Hippo's small, and return them to the LFS, to replace and start again,,,
only can offer this on Angels, got a Queen in my 180 FO,,,not too bad, can get mean if provocked, no harm to either party, just a square off
bottom line, tangs and angels,,,, both can be ornery or peaceful
i know that is not what you what to hear:rolleyes:
depends of which species/combo,,and a LOT of other things,,, fish size,combinations of same, tank size,,,and overall good luck.
what i'm trying to say is,,,what is said here,in books, knowledgable people,,,,does hold water,but nothing is written in stone on what works,,,get a background on the combo's you want,remember the existing fish in the tank will prob be the dominant one, so think of size /behavior on the second fish,,and hope for the best.
both Tangs and Angels have peaceful or aggressive members,just gotta choose well, and cross your fingers,,,
BTW: never had tangs with ich/black spot in 25 yrs,,,
i think i cursed myself,,:rolleyes:
not sure, hope this "helped":)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I started with an aprox 3" yellow tang. I added a coral beauty and my yellow tang will not leave it alone! Lucky for the CB is there are a lot of hiding places and holes to run away through. This has been going on for a couple of weeks but seemes to be slowing... CB seems not to mind it too much. He dosn't fight back but keeps comming out only to be chased back into the rocks. Thats my experiance so far.

Scott

·
Registered
180 Posts
A few years back I kept these all togther with no problem .
Since then I got rid of the 2 regal tangs and have the Queen in a FO tank and the Blue and Yellow in my SPS reef.

Regal tangs always look so cute in the lfs but they are frikken freaky fish. To **** hyper for me.
My yellow and purple have been together for 5 years.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I had a coral beauty til I saw him pickin on some zoos and xenia. He had to go then. Have had a Sailfin and Scopus for the last year and a half or so, added a purple 2 weeks ago and an Achilles today. Had to put the 2 older tangs in the quarantine tank until the purple acclimated and found all the hiding spots. The lights are out now cause all three were picking on the new Achilles. May have to quarantine the three older ones til the Achilles gets used to the new tank then add them back in gradually. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have to second what most have already said.

Angels can be fine for years; then go wild and destory every coral in a tank in a day.

I keep tangs and angels together in a number of tanks.

Ray

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.