The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in michigan and in the summer, should i get a chiller if i want an anenome?, im not planning till' next year, but just wondering so i can somehow save up for a chiller. Any input would be great

Thanks
Brandon

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Brandon, I'd do a search on this board regarding Anemones. They are difficult to raise and even more difficult to keep alive. You have to have perfect water conditions, perfect lighting and the sun, moon, stars need to be aligned just right.

Think long and hard about anemones. I'm not gonna tell ya what to do but think long and hard before purchasing one of these guys!

My .02

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Ask around to others in your geographic area about how they manage high temps in the summer. Here on the plains of Kansas, we usually use the tank as an excuse to run the AC. (And I can't think of anyone here who uses one.) Fans do an excellent job of cooling - probably better than you think. I was surprised myself.

I agree with Jimmer on the anemone...

·
Registered
68 Posts
It depends on the type of anemone. If your water temp gets above 81 and you are considering a Condy, You probably need one. If you are considering a BTA or LTA then you need one in my opion if your water temperture gets above 83 in the tank.

BTA and LTA are not as hard to keep as most others.

Ray

·
Registered
119 Posts
um.... not saying that anyone is right or wrong but I have my lights on for 10 hrs a day and have a problem keeping my water at 80-82 (usually runs at 85) and my Condy Anemone is seeming pretty happy. Dont know maybe my stars are in the right place

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Just a little clarification on this cause you're talking about two different anemone types.

Pacific host anemones are rarely found in extremely shallow flats, they will be happiest in deeper more constant temp waters.
Atlantic condy's are commonly found in grass flats where the temps can range from the 50's in winter, to above 90 in the summer.

Where most people get into trouble with high temps in their tanks is not the animals per se but the fact that it's ramped the metabolism of the entire system up - higher temps / higher metabolism of the entire system. As the demand for more food and oxygen goes up with the higher temps, the ability of the system to process waste and provide oxygen and off-gas CO2 goes down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, I have a LTA , keep tank at 75 and hand feed every other day(frozen mysis shrimp) and the thing will not stop growing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts