The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so next week i am thinking of buying a anemone for my perc. clown i want it in the top left corner under this type of lighting> http://www.marineandreef.com/Satellite_2X40W_20_inch_Current_USA_p/rcu01012.htm <

1. Which type will have the best chance of have my clown host
  2. Which type will do best.
  3. Which will move the less ( i know all anemones move)
  4. Which will fit in a 10gallon tank
Thanks in advance

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
If it were my I would try a bta. Mine hasn't moved in about 4 months. I got him in january and he's great.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking that too, but my lfs said i wouldn't be able to get a red or green bta only a brown cuase they don't get as big. i didn't really want the brown.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
is this true
No. They are the same species. Brown is just much more common, so your LFS probably gets them in all the time. The reds/rose BTA's and the bright green ones are harder to come by, and much more expensive. They can all reach well over a foot in diameter regardless of their color.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
I think the carpet anenomes are the natural anenome for Percula clowns - but they are very large for a 10g

also how old is your tank? Even Bubble tips need a well established tank to do well

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
Both of my bta's are about 10 inches or so. When they get happy, they get big. (I think)(I hope) they are the common browns and they host my perc fine.(but he'll host in anything he can find)

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
My true perc is tank bred and he hosts, My Gold stripe maroon is tank bred and he hosts, but my black perc (tank bred), and orange skunk(also tank bred) won't host for anything.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
It's kind of a crap shoot on the hosting, it can also take time for it to happen. On a 10 gl tank w/ that lighting, you might be better off trying a frogspawn. It's cheaper and easier to keep alive. I have a perc hosting a frogspawn in a 5 gl.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I wouldn't suggest using a stony coral. Especially a member of the Caryophylliidae family. AKA Elegance, Frog Spawn, Hammer, Torch, Bubble, or Fox coral. I wouldn't suggest a host anemone species for a 10gl tank either. How about some Harry Shrooms?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts