The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. folks I'm in trouble and I need some help....

My eight year old daughter has a birthday coming up in about a month, and since seeing "Finding Nemo" all she wants for her birthday is a clownfish (or two) like Nemo (either true percula or ocellaris) and an anemone for him to live in. **** Disney and Pixar [email protected]#*! And yes, I know about the problems with keeping anemones, even the more hardy versions like BTAs, and therein lies my problem. I've tried to explain this to my wife, and all I've managed to do is get in hot water! "What do you mean you can't put a couple of little clownfish and and a small anemone for her in that monstrosity that you've spent hundreds (if she only knew) of dollars on!"

So I need help on finding a good anemone substitute to host a pair of clowns. I've already bought Joyce Wilkersons book, and have seen that clowns will sometimes host in toadstools and mushrooms, in addition to frogspawn and hammers. But I need something that "looks" like an anemone, or at least close enough to fool an 8 year old girl, and a 40 year old woman. Something with long tentacles like an anemone, but won't be irritated by the constant presence of a clownfish or two, and heaven help me if the fish choose not to host in anything.

So please folks, give me your best advice. The dog has already told me I can't move in with him! :eek: :help: :(

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Clowns will host in whatever suits them... everything from shrooms, to toadstools to equipment. (I had one host with a Maxijet...)

What about a hairy mushroom? They do kind of resemble anemones - especially the long tentacled ones. I have some in my tank, and will get a pic when the lights come on. I've had many people mistake them for anemones.

Another option would be a long-tentacled toadstool. They also sorta look like anemones, and can be taken as a host.

Good luck, and I'll get some pics up soon.
Danielle

·
Registered
658 Posts
I had one host with a Maxijet...
Hehehe... I can see PP trying to pass that off as an anemone... :funny:

My ocellaris clowns tried for a bit to host in my Goniopora, but lately have decided that my Pink Tree coral is a much better host (it can't retract fully when irritated).
They still spend the night vertical on the back glass though... I guess they're just remembering their upbringing as a tank-raised fish (I have ORA clowns).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just remember, and I'm sure you already know this, just because you have an anemones (or similar) in your tank, it doesn't mean that the clowns will host with them. . . I've seen a tank that housed an anemone and a clown fish where the clown didn't host with the anemone (maybe he needed more time to adjust, but he preferred to sleep in a sunken cave in the LR). . . anyway, long story short, anemone died (probably starvation) :(

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey Phantom Phish, just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat. I wanted to get this great pair of mated maroons which happened to already be living in a nice bubble tip at the lfs BUT NO!!!! The kids insisted on getting "nemo" and out of guilt since they have already told me I love my fish more then them I obliged. Now of course everyone that comes over to see the tank says "when are you going to get them an anemone like in the movie". When I try and explain the complications of clowns choosing hosts etc. I just get these blank stares...... I am going to get a long tentacle today and risk it just to see if these tank raised percs will get the idea. So remember - you are not alone........

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I had seen somewhere that there are silicon anemone look alikes..

For the life of me I can't remember where I had seen them, but I thought the idea was great.... I'll do some searching and see if I can find it again...

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
I second getting a long tenticle toadstool. Or a torch coral will give the appearance of an anenome. (I have seen a clown host with one). But, the problem is, and you need to tell your wife this, is JUST because you give it an anenome, doesn't mean the clown will host with it. As others have mentioned, clowns will host with whatever makes them happy. I have 2 clowns, and even though I had 3 anenomes for them to chose from, they chose my long tenticle toadstool.

Buzz - if you find that place that has the anenome look alikes..let me know. Sounds like a great idea. :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm...
A torch coral might work. How do they react if a clownfish hosts in them? Will they keep their polyps extended? What about Heliofungia? Seems like I saw one at a LFS that appeared to be hosting a clown, although I think it was a tomato or cinnamon clown. Or how about an Atlantic Condylactis anemone? Do they survive any better, and has anyone seen a clown host in them?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'm under the gun here. I just found out my neighbor bought her son a ten gallon tank with an anemone and three small clowns. Once my wife hears that I'm dead.

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Unfortunately I think your neighbors fish will be dead first. :(

3 clowns in a TEN??!!!!! :eek:

I loved the movie but I'm really beginning to hate what is happening because of it!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi, If I was you I would definately tell your wife that you are a responsibe reef keeper, and that getting a anemone to make your daughter happy is pretty unresponsible. There is a good chance that even if you get a anemone that the clowns won't care and will hang out somewhere else

·
Registered
658 Posts
In this case I wouldn't worry about 'keeping up with the Joneses'... when you do this the right way and your neighbors kids have to come over to your house to see a tank that's still alive you'll be thankful that you took your time to make the right choice.

One thing I've been noticing about Finding Nemo (though I haven't seen the movie yet) is that the central concept is saving a clownfish from a reef tank in the dentist's office... yet kids are clamoring to start their own tanks in contrast to the moral theme of the film.
Commercial hype wins again, I guess... though I can't fault them for being interested in reef tanks... :D
I just found it odd that the moral is being lost in the translation... and is probably in direct contrast to the message Pixar was trying to convey with this movie.
We humans are a weird bunch, eh? ;)

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Well, like I said, there is no way to guarantee that the clowns would host with the torch. So, don't get it and expect them to host. As for the condy...I can't recall ever hearing of a clown hosting with a condy. So, I would steer clear of that.

What ever you decide, be ready to keep it as just a coral/anenome if the clowns decide not to host with it. And, also, don't be afraid to tell your daughter NO. :beer: heh heh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts