The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 46 gallon tank with live rock (52 lbs) a true and false percula and various other inhabitants. Ammonia and Nitrite are at 0, nitrate is at 20. I have good flow and lighting is 10,000K and blue actinic each one 96 watts. Any help is appreciated, i heard bubble tip is best for beginners and easiest to keep, thanks so much! Tank has been running for a year now this May.

· uber-stupid
5,091 Posts
I would work on lowering nirates and increasing light intensity. Nitrates of 20 will definatly give you a problem with algae and cyano once you increase intensity. Prolly all you need to do to lower nitrates is increase water changes with RO/DI water. If you don't have an RO/DI filter you should seriously concider it.

· I've got the REEF rash!
64,175 Posts
I would work on lowering nirates and increasing light intensity. Nitrates of 20 will definatly give you a problem with algae and cyano once you increase intensity. Prolly all you need to do to lower nitrates is increase water changes with RO/DI water. If you don't have an RO/DI filter you should seriously concider it.
Ditto on all of this!You should get at least T5HOs.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
I just added a BTA 2 weeks ago. She seems happy so far. It will accept food and looks good. My tank is 6 months old and I also have PC lights. The main difference b/t us is the nitrates. I try to maintain my nitrates in the 0-5ppm range.

And I have 2 false percs that could care less about the anemone. I obsess over this every day.

· Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I keep talking to several different people on youtube who have bubble anemones. Some said they didn't even check their nitrates! (and their bubble tips were beautiful). One said his was at 75 (and his anemone was beautiful) ...another was at like 30 or 40 and his anemone was also gorgeous. ...

· uber-stupid
5,091 Posts
The nirates are a growth inhibitor and food for algae. May also cause the algae in the anemone to be more present and cause it to be browner than desired. The guy that said his nirtates were 75 is smoking crack because at that point it would be toxic to the anemone.

· Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just added a BTA 2 weeks ago. She seems happy so far. It will accept food and looks good. My tank is 6 months old and I also have PC lights. The main difference b/t us is the nitrates. I try to maintain my nitrates in the 0-5ppm range.

And I have 2 false percs that could care less about the anemone. I obsess over this every day.
Do you have a skimmer too? if so what kind? i'm looking for a good skimmer and can't decide there are too many choices!!

· Registered
2,572 Posts
Do you have a skimmer too? if so what kind? i'm looking for a good skimmer and can't decide there are too many choices!!
I have read that "dirtier" tanks need more intense lighting to keep an anemone. So, since you and I have PC's we need to be more aware of our water parameters.

I have an AquaC Urcin Pro in sump skimmer with a mag3 pump. I like it, but it's the only one I have ever owned. So, I do not have anything to compare it to. I also use a filter sock that I clean out almost everyday.

Since the last time I posted, my clowns have started using and fighting over the anemone. The Orange clown uses it during the day and the black clown has been sleeping in it. I may have to buy another one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.