The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home to find a tentacle from my rose anemone on the substrate, still moving and apparently alive. Looking closer, I noticed that two more tentacles were attached merely by black tissue to the animal. What is causing this? Will the tentacle regenerate into a new animal? Otherwise the anemone seems healthy and well and water parameters all within normal range. Any feedback would be appreciated as I've never witnessed this in the 3 years of having kept 2 varieties of anemones.

·
Registered
874 Posts
do you have any peppermint shrimp in your tank, or prolly any type of shrimp for that matter. They have been known to tear the tenticles of anemones when there is food in the tank, I have witnessed one of mine do it. The anemone will be fine, just try to find who is actually doing that and either remove them or try to section off the anemone till it's better. As far as the torn arms, I'ld remove them, I doubt they will grow into another anemone, but it'll prolly dirty up your water.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I do have a cleaner shrimp and he's been in the tank for 2 years with not problems, but that might explain what happened.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts