The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone!

So in my LFS's new anemone tank - they have this nem. Can anyone give an ID? LFS owner really doesn't even know - but thinks it's some type of rock anemone... another thought is a beaded anemeone (Heteractis aurora).

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Looks like Heteractis Malu

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know any good sites on those for me to do a little research?

Based on this description it looks like you're right... Diagnostic field characters Tentacles sparse, stubby (rarely to 40 mm long), of variable length even within one radial row, commonly magenta-tipped. Oral disc lies at surface of sediment in which delicate column is burrowed. Column commonly pale cream or yellow colour, may have splotches of deep yellow or orange.
Details Tentacles arise from brown or purplish (rarely bright green) oral disc as much as 200 mm in diameter that may have white radial markings; evenly tapered to point or slightly inflated in middle; lower part same colour as oral disc, but upper portion may have several white rings or green end. Column very thin in expansion; upper part violet-brown (due to zooxanthellae) with longitudinal rows of adhesive verrucae. Anemones can retract completely into sediment; most common in shallow, quiet waters.

But other than that I can't really find any good pictures or any other information! I'm really interested in it - but want to do a lot more research... I'll have to check out my Clownfishes book when I get home - I know it has a section on nems...

Anyone know of a good site or pics out there? I need to know about their care and requirements... and cost... My LFS says it's some kind of rock anemone... I haven't asked what he's charging...

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Unfortunately there is not much info to be found on caring for anemones. Your LFS is wrong. This is not a "rock anemone". This is a sand dwelling anemone. They prefer positions like the one in the pic you posted, where they can bury their foot in the sand under a rock. If they don't have sand they will most likely wander all over the tank. They do best in low flow and bright light. These are not the easiest anemone to care for in my opinion. They are also not one of the more colorful anemones. Other than providing it with the correct environment, all you can do is feed it meaty foods often and pray that you got a healthy one to begin with. Make sure it has plenty of brown color to it and it's not bleached, as most of them are. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
It looks very healthy in the pic. If you get it just make sure they are very careful removing it from that position. Its foot is most likely stuck to the rock and the bottom of the tank. Simply lifting the rock out of the way may tare the anemone. They are very hard to move when they are in that position. Maybe you can get lucky and its foot is just stuck to the bottom of the tank.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
You are very welcome, and if you like the anemone and have $40 then its not to much. I have spent much more than that on an anemone.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Careful on tank co-inhabitants you choose, most of the anemones that live at the surface of a sand substrate tend to be good ambush hunters... Don't keep it with fish other than clowns that you want to keep.

:eek:

Best to make this a member of a specie tank of proper commensural clowns, anemone and maybe a known commensural anemone crab. It will need to be fed about once a week (small dime-sized chunk of fish or cube of frozen mysiids, etc).

Interesting, I will try and confirm your ID when I get home and have acess to my keys. In the mentime, how about more detailed pictures that look at all the biological margins, tentacles, tentacle bases, juncture between the oral disc and the tentacle margins, the top of the column, the oral opening, and fill the frame with a few tentacles for their entire length (details of the tips as well). These are areas of morphological differentiation that are crutial to correct ID, and even then, there is a chance that ID will only be possible down to genus from photographs...

HTH

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Working late tonight, Tom? I have been looking foward to what you can dig up. It would be nice to be able to see at least the top of the column, but I'm still convinced it's H. Malu.

That's a great link, Aquawolf.

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
After looking around a bit, I side with Heteractis Malu as well.

Like was mentioned above they are opportunity feeders and will grab a meal swimming by. You have some very nice fish, be careful if you decide to get it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts