The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having troubles with this anemone on and off for the last several months. This morning when the actinic lights turn on I noticed what appeared to be the inside of him coming out. Should I remove him from the tank? I am unable to post a picture from my phone so I will have to post it from my computer.

· Registered
1,607 Posts
I've been having troubles with this anemone on and off for the last several months. This morning when the actinic lights turn on I noticed what appeared to be the inside of him coming out. Should I remove him from the tank? I am unable to post a picture from my phone so I will have to post it from my computer.
Anytime a anemone is turning its stomach inside out it is a sign of stress.. what that is I could not tell you, it could be anything.

Infections, clowns are too ruff but most likely its water conditions.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anytime a anemone is turning its stomach inside out it is a sign of stress.. what that is I could not tell you, it could be anything.

Infections, clowns are too ruff but most likely its water conditions.
Turns out the two water parameters I did not check may have contributed to its behavior (pH and Phosphate). pH was down to about 8.0 likely from using RODI water to make saltwater. I have been slowling adjusting pH by adding 8.3 buffer and it is almost back to the normal range. Phosphate was also between 2.5-5. I looked at the overflow and saw it was obstructed. I cleared it and within 24 hours the levels decreased by half.

The anemone is starting to look much better. I was worried for the last few days as it was hangling limp.

· Registered
339 Posts
could be attempting to move around the tank, the light brown part underneath it is its foot it uses to attach and for movement

· Registered
101 Posts
behavior

55gal 19wat ballest 5050 bulbs and side light next to anemone.
ph 8.4 ish.
salt 1.0225
phosphate 0 no register on (assumed) 1ppm drop tester
amonia 0
nitrate 0
calcium ?
magnezium ?
iodine ?

supplementing : for tube worms clams crabs
zooplankton
phytoplankton
essential elements

maintenance:
often sifting
constant cascade filter
light curculation controll
79 min 80 temp max
petco salt brand
kent khgh buffer

anyways. new nemone was a shrivald splat at pet store so i took him for freee. other species around him possible chemical warfare no doubt bad water quality.
in bag he inflated and came to life.
to aclimate poked pencil point hole in bag let float for 4 hrs then realesed.
he is eating andinstantly attached tolightly rocky bottom shollow sand.
at night he lays down but springs up and looks aroind forr food as soon as lights turn on...
i want zooplex but cant get from pet co only store in hundred miles.
will that make its collor return?
why does it lay down at night.?
is it sick. can it recover fast if taken care of?
is my lighting enough. its right next to it.
what might cause further sickness that stands out to you.
im just trying to stay ahead. i know the rissk i took getting him sick already.
hes a little brown still not damaged or extreemly bleeched

· Registered
29 Posts
I got two anemones that were bleached and they have improved just with good water quality and feeding periodically. Mine are bubble anemones and during the day they stretch to look like long tentacle and when the lights go down and turn off they are bubbled up smaller. I'm still rather new so I can not answer regarding your lighting. I would suggest posting a new thread so others can chime in who have more experience incase they do not see this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.